HOLES ESCAPE ROOM NOVEL ACTIVITY: Help your students review plot, character, literary devices, and vocabulary in Holes by Louis Sachar with this highly-engaging interactive escape room activity!
HOW IT WORKS
Students work in small groups and move about the classroom to five different stations to complete puzzles and activities that will help Stanley escape Camp Green Lake.
In the first station, they will dig their first hole after arriving at the camp by ordering plot points according to the plot diagram to determine a numeric code.
In the second station, Stanley will dig up Kate Barlow's lipstick tube by matching up descriptions to characters and using the information they gather to reveal a secret code word.
In the third station, Stanley will go looking for Zero after he has run away by completing a multiple-choice analysis assignment about the novel to reveal a mystery word.
In the fourth station, Stanley will carry zero up the mountain by matching up new vocabulary words from examples in the novel to their proper definition (using context clues). Once they have matched them up correctly, it will reveal a mystery word.
The final station has Stanley locate the suitcase with his name on it which leads to his escape from the camp by decoding an encryption based on hidden symbols they have to find throughout the game to reveal a quote from the novel!
Please note that students will need to have completed the novel to complete this activity. They should also have an understanding of the following: plot diagram, foreshadowing, irony, setting, metaphor, flashback, hyperbole, palindrome, character types - flat, stock, dynamic, static
INCLUDED IN YOUR PURCHASE
• Detailed teacher instructions for setting up the room and facilitating the activity
• A classroom door sign to welcome students to the activity
• Signs for each of the five stations
• Story cards for each station that takes students through the process of Stanley's escape (direct support/quotes from the text are provided)
• Student instructions for each of the five stations
• All the materials students need for each station (envelope templates, plot cards, character cards, multiple-choice reading assignment, vocabulary puzzle, encryption assignment)
• A student answer booklet where the group can record the codes and keys they find.
• A teacher answer key you can use to check the work to determine the winner.
• Two reflection assignments to complete after the escape room. One is a reflection on the quote revealed in the final puzzle and the other is a reflection on the escape room activity.
Like This Resource? Click The Link Below To See More Outsiders Resources By Presto Plans
HOLES COMPLETE UNIT PLAN
© Presto Plans
★CLICK HERE TO RECEIVE 10 FREE ENGLISH TEACHER RESOURCES!