Your learners will enjoy the rigor and creativity of our engaging activities built from best teaching practices. We want to make your lesson planning journey easy, so you can focus on your expertise. This novel study includes a curriculum map pacing guide that offers our day-by-day suggestion for how to plan out your weeks of lessons. Our pedagogy section explains the instructive idea behind the activity, gives ideas for implementation, and aligns it to the standards. We've filmed some training videos on (1) how to assemble a Novel Analysis Packet that is unique to the academic needs of your learners and (2) how to effectively use our Quickwrite writing prompts.
To make your digital experience smooth, we include instructions (w/ screenshots!) of how to download and organize your resources in Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive. We've added Google Forms versions of each activity that auto-corrects their responses using a suggested answer key (which you can adjust afterward or modify your answer key) and compiles grades into a spreadsheet with learners' names and class periods to make things easier for you to grade all in one place (some types of question aren't able to auto-grade, though, because of the short-answer format).
TEXT: HOLES by Louis Sachar
LEVEL: 5th - 9th
TOTAL: 223 digital slides/pages
→ Pacing Guide and Answer Keys included
WHAT OTHER TEACHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS LITERATURE RESOURCE
♥ Awesome resource that I purchased last year and am about to use it again this year at the new school I am teaching at! Thank you so much!
♥ This is the complete package. I don't use everything for my 5th graders, but I like that I can pick and choose. Thank you. I have several of your units.
♥ Just completed the novel with my 6th graders and loved having everything at my fingertips. Thanks for all the work you put into this.
♥ After quickly reviewing the materials, I am most impressed. I plan to use them for summer school and I am very excited! I especially love the quick reads! Thank you for your hard work that you put in to this unit. It's a great story and I can't wait to use the materials!
♥ Excellent resource. Very thorough and a huge time saver. Thanks!
LITERATURE PLAN CONTENTS
→ Suggested timeline of how a teacher could plan out the unit
→ Detailed explanations of the goals of each activity and how to conduct the activities
→ Meets Common Core Standards
→ Easy to differentiate for different learning levels: Honors, 2nd language learners, and Sped
- answer thematic questions to get students thinking about the novel
- 14-digital slide activity
- organize the 6 parts of the plot
- 2-digital slide organizer
- Students analyze the 6 different types of conflict in stories
- 2-digital slide organizer
- analyze the main characters using novel quotes
- 4-digital slide organizer
- analyze the main settings using novel quotes
- 8-digital slide organizer
- We set out to make the most helpful, most compelling, most graphically attractive teaching resource for you to introduce your learners to all the various figurative language. This 70+ digital slides will help you introduce how every many you need to teach your level of learners.
- They will analyze 58 quotes from the story and determine the figurative device.
- 8-digital slides bundle
- Similes, Metaphors, Idioms, Hyperboles, Personification, Irony, Onomatopoeia, Puns, Analogy
- 1/2 writing assignments to spur much deeper conversational thinking
- 52-digital slides
- a 5-question pop quiz per 1 chapter
* 32-slides of digital quizzes
- The purpose of these is so students who read the chapters recently would ace the quiz and students who didn't read recently would not do well.
- We've added a Google Forms quiz version that compiles grades into a spreadsheet with learners' names and class periods to make things easier for you to grade all in one place (no auto-grade, though, because of the short-answer format).
- 90 vocabulary words from the novel
- three 30-question lists & quizzes
- 18-digital slide bundle includes list of words, quiz, and answer keys
- We've added a Google Forms quiz version that auto-grades for you and compiles grades into a spreadsheet with learners' names and class periods.
- 3 response to literature essay options for students to choose from; optional delivery of essay as a speech
- Includes essay topics and speech grading rubrics
- 11-digital slide bundle
★ Movie vs. Novel Comparison (The movie is "In-development". This was made preemptively.)
- 2-page worksheet
- Students compare & contrast the movie and novel
Enjoy! You have only one life, make the most of it!
WHAT IS CREATED FOR DIGITAL?
★ Our Created for Digital resources take all the trusted, quality instructional tools you know and love and convert them into the digital format you need for your online learners.
Why go Digital?
··· Paperless. No printing.
··· Instant saving ... students work in the file.
··· Technology Proficiency
··· Works on Chromebooks, Android Tablets, and other devices
··· Engaged students
··· Easy group work
··· Paper trail of revisions for teacher to see
··· Teacher Tutorial - access link and how to use this with your learners
··· Microsoft OneDrive user instructions - a step-by-step visual tutorial. This will only take minutes!
··· All slides can be used over and over again.
OTHER HOLES LEGENDS
OUR VAST NOVEL UNIT LIBRARY
→ We've got 35+ more complete novel units for you, ready to save you precious time and sanity so you can have your life back to do what you do best ... teach!
Bored w/ Teaching GRAMMAR?
→ Introduce your learners to The Grammar Ninjas!