This literature mini-unit accompanies Melinda Long's wonderful picture book, How I Became a Pirate. Used as a stand-alone unit or part of a larger thematic study of pirates, the unit provides fun and purposeful activities across the curriculum, and can be used in whole or small groups, as independent work, or during centers!
Here's what's included: Helpful background information for the teacher, tips for introducing and reading the story aloud (including a book talk that is sure to capture your children's interest!), and nine super fun extension activities which take next-to-no prep for you, but provide maximum engagement for your students! The activities are cross-curricular; many support Common Core ELA Standards for Grades 1 and 2. Activity options include art, math, map skills, dramatic play, and written and oral language activities. All are kid-tested, kid-approved!
Please see the PREVIEW above for more information about this resource.
More fun activities you will love!!
• Pirate Bump! 20 Games for Addition & Subtraction Facts
• FIDO & FRIENDS: Differentiated Addition Practice to 9 + 9
• RAWR! Dinosaur-Themed Differentiated Addition Facts to 9 + 9
• Three Billy Goats Gruff - Reader's Theater Fun!
• MOTHER GOOSE RHYME THEATRE Oral & Written Language Activities
• Save money by building a custom bundle! It's like having your own private sale! Find more information HERE.
Don’t forget to leave feedback for your TpT purchases! You earn credits to use for any future TpT purchases, and your feedback is very helpful to me as well. I love reading it!
If you like my work, follow my store to be notified when new resources are listed in my store. It pays to be a follower--new resources are 50% off for the first 24 hours!
Thank you for looking! Please contact me if you have any questions.