This is a large unit on tortilla artist Joe Bravo. If you haven't heard of him, go ahead and Google him. He is an amazing painter who uses tortillas in place of canvas to celebrate his Hispanic heritage.
1. This unit includes detailed lesson plans; current standards are PA, but they can be modified.
2. A 4-square brainstorming sheet for students to consider ideas for use in the project.
3. A parent letter explaining the unit, listing helpful resources, websites, videos, and children's literature to nurture the students' personal cultural explanation.
4. A PowerPoint on Joe Bravo, explaining symbols, heritage, culture, and examples of Bravo's work.
5. A worksheet on facial proportions for students to sketch proper placement of features.
6. A follow-up quiz for students to demonstrate their understanding of heritage and culture and Joe Bravo's work. This also provides them with an opportunity to explain the choices they made in their own work.
Altogether, this unit is 18 pages of resources and material. This could last an entire semester for upper elementary or middle school students!
Please check out my store for additional art resources. Follow me and leave feedback :)