This activity is an easy way to introduce habitats, living things vs. non living things, and the necessary components to maintain a living system.
After teaching that all living things grow, change, and live in habitats that provide air, water, food, shelter, and space, this "Habitat House" makes the concept more personal for the students.
Applying their new knowledge about habitats and the necessary things needed in order to survive, the students create their own habitat houses. I had my 1st graders and Kindergarteners do this lesson and both worked very well.
In the sections of the house I had the students draw and color the following:
1. shelter - their house, apartment, etc.
2. space - their bedroom or a personal space of theirs that allows them to grow, change, and move around freely.
3. food - their favorite foods
4. water - water bottle, glass of water, an ocean, anything water related.
5. air - we left air blank because it is invisible! :)