Before buying this product, consider buying it as a bundle with other science units by following this link:
Grade 4 Science Units Bundled
Ontario Curriculum Expectations: Grade 4 Science - Understanding Life Systems
1. Analyse the effects of human activities on habitats and communities.
2. Investigate the interdependence of plants and animals within specific habitats and communities.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of habitats and communities and the relationships among the plants and animals that live in them.
1. Biomes, Ecosystems & Habitats
2. The Basic Needs of Living Things - Sunlight, Water, Air, Food & Habitat
3. Trophic Levels - Producers, Consumers, Decomposers
4. Relationships Between Living Things - Food Web
5. Adaptations of Living Things - Plants and Animals
6. Humans & Habitats - Human Effects on Habitats
What is in the unit?
In this unit you will find:
1. Information articles on the topics listed above.
2. Worksheets that review the information in the articles.
3. Glossary of terms
4. One Investigation with Observation and Conclusion Sheets
5. One project - Endangered Species
- Research & Report Writing (Language Arts - Writing)
- Presentation (Language Arts - Oral Communication)
4. Final Test
5. Answer Keys
6. Project Rubric
1. Worksheets can be used as ongoing homework checks or collected and used as formative assessments.
2. Conclusion Sheet based on the Investigation
3. Project rubric
4. Final Test - Matching, True or False, Multiple Choice, and Short Answer
How to use the unit
The unit is meant to be used as a student handout with the articles, worksheets, investigation, project description, and rubric to be photocopied for each student. Read through the articles together as a class and have students answer the corresponding worksheet. (Each article and worksheet should take around one 40 minute period). Take up the worksheet on the following day before starting the next article.
The investigation observation and conclusion sheets can be collected and marked as a lab.
The project is meant to be completed in class under the supervision of the teacher. Students can work independently or in groups/pairs.
The test is to be given as a final summative assessment for the unit to evaluate what students have learned overall.
Links to other related Units
Food Chains Video
Light & Sound
Rocks & Minerals
Pulleys and Gears
Matter, Forces, Human Body, and Energy Conservation Bundle
Properties of and Changes in Matter
Conservation of Energy and Resources
Forces Acting on Structures and Mechanisms
Human Organ Systems
Biodiversity, Electricity, Space, and Flight Bundle
Electricity and Energy
Air and Flight
** Remember ** You can earn Tpt Credits and save money on future purchases by returning to my store to rate this product! Furthermore, your rating and feedback will help me to continue to create products that suit yours and other teachers’ needs.