Who do I inspire my students to be? Scholars. Dr. Sandra Kaplan (USC) developed the habits of Scholarliness. At the start of each school year, I teach these traits to inspire and encourage my students.
* Scholars are curious. They ask questions and take risks.
* Scholars set long and short-term goals.
* Scholars look at a variety of resources.
* Scholars spend time pondering ideas.
* Scholars view ideas and problems from multiple perspectives.
* Scholars save ideas and resources.
* Scholars see themselves as half full. They realize there is always more to learn.
* Scholars exercise their intellect by trying challenging tasks and persevere with stamina.
* Scholars come to school prepared to learn. They bring their tools.
* Scholars take pride in their work. They seek excellence.