Do you haiku? After years of teaching this poetry form, I’ve found that integrating the book Grass Sandals by Dawnine Spivak into instruction has inspired my students to truly understand its rules/nature and has inspired them to create high-quality work of their own. This picture book introduces Basho, the ‘father of haiku’, his travels, poetry and enriches any elementary unit on haiku or Japan. Grass Sandals is readily available through retailers or libraries. I am not offering the book itself.
• Student haiku notebook with three sections:
1. What is haiku? Class generated rules using the poetry shared in the book
2. Examples of Basho’s haiku with a focus on the reading strategy Create Mental Pictures
3. Photo inspiration project for student-written haiku
Student haiku notebook incorporates many elements of non-fiction text features.
• Classroom-tested implementation ideas and student work samples included.
• Teacher Key
Appropriate for second through fifth grade.
BONUS: Japanese Stab Binding instructions!
NOTE: This product is included as a bonus in my Modern Japan unit. It is sold separately here for those who do not use the Core Knowledge curriculum.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase click on the Provide Feedback button. You'll be taken to a page where you can give a rating and leave a short comment about the product. I value your feedback.
Follow me to get notices on sales, freebies and new products:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.