Halloween Activities: Build A Word Wheels – Set 1
★ Different Ways To Use and Record
★ 63 Different Combinations of Wheels, so you can make 63 Word Builder Wheels with this set!
★ Includes 4 Halloween Word Builder Awards and 8 Halloween Recording Sheets
★ Great for Differentiating Word Building Practice with your students!
★ 7 inner wheels and 9 outer wheels as described below to make 63 possible sets.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2c Blend and segment onsets and rimes of single-syllable spoken words.
Phonics and Word Recognition
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.3b Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
★ Please see my other Halloween Literacy and Math Centers by clicking on any of the GREEN links below. Thank you...
21 Page Download - Print as many of each wheel as desired to make up to 63 different Halloween Word Builders…
Two styles of optional Halloween recording sheets (record only real words OR record as real or nonsense in correct column) can be used for students to write the words they build. 4 Halloween Word Builder Award Certificates are included as well.
Assemble Halloween Word Builders by placing one small onset wheel on top of one larger rime wheel and secure with a brass paper fastener. You can start easy and then make them harder as the year progresses. You can also change the center wheels or outer wheels to adjust to your students’ growth.
7 different inner onset wheels contain:
**all 19 beginning single consonants
**8 beginning consonant digraphs
**21 two-letter blends
**8 three-letter blends or tri-graphs
9 different larger outer rime wheels that contain: :
**8 -vc chunks (rimes) with the vowel a
**8 -vc chunks (rimes) with the vowel e
**8 -vc chunks (rimes) with the vowel i
**8 -vc chunks (rimes) with the vowel o
**8 -vc chunks (rimes) with the vowel u
**10 chunks with vowels and double consonants:
-ff, -ll, -ss, -zz
**5 chunks with vowels and –ck
**5 r-controlled vowel combinations
**11 vowel digraphs and the letter -y
Ways to Use:
Give each student one Halloween Word Builder and a Halloween recording sheet. See how many real words can be made with the wheels in one position. Then advance the inner or outer wheel one move, and build more words. This activity can continue until the wheel has been moved a total of 7 times to make all possible word combinations on that particular Word Builder. (Advanced students may need more than one recording sheet.)
Give each student one Halloween Word Builder and a Halloween recording sheet for real words and nonsense words. See how many real words and how many nonsense words can be made with the wheel in one position. This activity can be continued by advancing the wheel one move to build 8 more words to classify as real or nonsense. The activity can continue until the wheel has been moved a total of 7 times to make all possible combinations.
Or simply give students a Halloween Word Builder and let them move it as they choose to create words and record them.
Thanks so much for selecting one of my products. If you have any questions/suggestions, please feel free to e-mail me at:
You can see my other Halloween Products by clicking on any of these links:
Halloween Build A Word Wheels
– Set 1 – Different Ways To Use and Record – 63 Different Combinations of Wheels, so you can make 63 Word Builder Wheels with this set! - Includes 4 Word Builder Awards and 8 Recording Sheets – Great for Differentiating Word Building Practice with your students - 7 inner wheels and 9 outer wheels.
Halloween Candy Corn Compound Words Puzzles
– 96 Compound Words - Self Correcting!
8 sets with 12 different compound words in each set. 20 Page Download
Answer keys, 4 optional recording sheets and 4 awards are included. 1 blank set of candy corn puzzles and answer cards in case you’d like to make some additional compound words you need.
Halloween Counting and Skip Counting Activities
- 30 Page Download - 60 Different Trick or Treaters make this activity perfect for a Halloween review of counting and skip counting by ones, twos, fives and tens to 100.
Halloween Emergent Readers - 2 Different Reading Levels
- 3 Books -4 Versions of Each -26 Page Download -
Easy Assembly – 12 books in all-8 Pages Per Book - Use for guided reading, and send home for extra practice.
Halloween Sight Words Literacy Centers Game Board Activities – 5 Different Game Boards Set 1
– All Halloween Themed - Contains spinners, gameboards, recording sheets, and awards. This file contains 5 different Halloween game boards for the first 100 Dolch sight vocabulary words. I have included 6 spinners.
Halloween Sight Word Literacy Centers Gameboard Activities – 5 Different Games – Set 2
– Last 120 Dolch Sight Words - This file contains 5 different gameboards for the last 109 Dolch sight vocabulary words. (First 111 Dolch words are on Set 1). Spinners, Gameboards, Recording Sheets, and Awards.
Halloween Sight Word Activities Ghost BOOsters! - First 100 Dolch Words
– Memory and Ghost BOOsters Card Game - 10 Sets – 5 Ways to Play - 55 page download - First 100 Dolch Words. (See set 2 in my other product listings for the last 120 Dolch Words.) You can print it out as is, but it is designed to be printed out back to back with 10 different sets of HALLOWEEN graphics printing on the reverse side to keep the 10 sets separate. Optional recording sheets with matching graphics and 4 Ghost-BOOsters Awards.
Halloween Spook-tacular Antonyms Literacy Centers
Recording Sheets and Award - 120 Words (60 pairs of antonyms) – 60 Different Trick-or-Treaters Match Up to Halloween Houses! - 4 Ways to Play - 29 page download – 5 complete sets with different backings and print color to keep them separate
Halloween Spook-tacular Contractions Literacy Center Activities
- Recording Sheets and Award -
23 Page Download – 48 Contractions – 4 different sets with 12 different pairs in each set. Students match contractions to the words from which they are made.
Halloween Spook-tacular Synonyms Literacy Centers
- Recording Sheets & Award (60 pairs of synonyms) and 60 Trick or Treaters in different costumes match up to Halloween houses for trick or treat!
4 Ways to Play -29 page download – 120 Words - 5 complete sets with different backings and print color to keep them separate.
Halloween Trick or Treat Onset Rime DIBELS Literacy Center Activities
– Match each Trick or Treater to a Halloween House to make a word… Real or Nonsense? Prints nicely in color or grayscale. All c-v-c words and some cc-v-c words, but you do not have to use the consonant digraphs for onsets.
23 Page Download - 3 Ways to Play - 24 different Trick or Treaters with onsets (beginning sounds and digraphs) match up to a variety of Halloween houses with rimes (–at, -ip, um, ed, ot, etc.). Optional recording sheets for students to write the cvc onset rime words they form. Play as a simple pick a Trick or Treater and match it to a Halloween House with a rime that forms a word. OR play “Real or Nonsense?” Trick or Treater onset cards can be placed in a decorated copy paper lid (Halloween scenery for sides inside and out provided). I have a Level 2 Version that you can find in my products listings. It can be added to set one gradually to make the activity more difficult and differentiate students’ practice.
Halloween SPOOKtacular! Trick or Treat Literacy Center Activities – Level 2 -
Onset Rime – Match each Trick or Treater to a Halloween House to make a word… Real or Nonsense? 48 onsets and 84 rimes- Prints nicely in color or grayscale. 34 Page Download - 3 Ways to Play - 48 different Trick or Treaters with onsets (beginning sounds, digraphs, blends and trigraphs) match up to a variety of Halloween houses with more complex rimes than in set 1 (–ear, -ight, ain, eat, end, etc.). Optional recording sheets for students to write the words they form. Play as a simple pick a Trick or Treater and match it to a Halloween House with a rime that forms a word. OR play “Real or Nonsense?” Trick or Treater onset cards can be placed in a decorated copy paper lid (Halloween scenery for sides inside and out provided). I have a Level 1 Version (a smaller file and only $2.95) that you can find in my products listings. It can be combined with this set to make it easier for students who have a difficult time with this level. It contains just short vowel c-v-c words. Adding this set will allow you to truly differentiate.
FREE - Halloween Literacy Center Activities –
Matching Upper and Lower Case Letters and Counting to 20 and Award Certificates - 14 Page Download - 4 Ways to Play - 72 different Halloween Costumes in All -
Halloween costume graphics with the lower case letters of the alphabet match up to other Halloween costume graphics with the upper case letters. Numbers 1-20 to arrange in order as well. Optional recording sheets for students to write the alphabet and the numbers. 6 Different Spooktacular Award Certificates at various levels.
Visit my store here:
Visit my Pinterest Board here to see product close-ups:
Visit my Blog: Learning Activities for Kids here:
Visit my Facebook Page here:
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store. ☺
Thank you for stopping by!
Linda Post: The Teacher’s Post
•Copyright ©Linda Post: The Teacher’s Post
• All rights reserved by author. This product is for your classroom or personal use. You may reference this product in blog posts, at seminars, professional development workshops, or other such venues provided there is both credit given to me as the author and a link back to my TPT store is included in your post or presentation. You may not claim this work as your own, alter the files in any way, or remove the copyright or watermarks. You may not sell the files or combine them into another unit for sale
•Clipart and elements found in this file are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. See product file for clip art and font credits. Thank you…
•Copyright ©Linda Post: The Teacher’s Post