This scavenger hunt practices the important skills of using context to determine word meaning. 16 different Halloween related words are used. The product also includes a poster for types of Context clues and definition cards for the various types. A sheet for inclusion in an interactive notebook is also included.
This scavenger hunt can also be used to determine the type of context clue found. An additional activity sheet has been added for this purpose.
Table of Contents
How to Use this Product
1. Print the Context Clues Scavenger Hunt cards on card stock then cut them apart.
2. Choose the type of questions then make copies of that Context Clues Scavenger Hunt questions worksheet. Each student needs a copy.
3. Place Context Clues Scavenger Hunt cards around your classroom where students will be able to find them. You can put them on chairs, on the computer keyboard, on the back of your classroom door, on the sides of student desks, on the chalkboard, or wherever you like.
4. Students have to search the room and find all of the sentence cards to answer the questions. You can differentiate by having students work alone or with a classmate.
5. Students should answer in complete sentences that explain their thinking.
Table of Contents
• 16 cards providing student practice
• student answer sheets in 2 formats
• 11 posters for learning context clues in 2 sizes and both b/w and color
• a one page sheet of definitions for a student interactive notebook
• answer keys
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.R1.1.4 Ask and answer questions to help determine or clarify the meaning of words or phrases in text.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.R1.2.4 Determine the meaning
of words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 2 topic or subject.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.2.4.c Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary
CCSS.ELA_Literacy.CCRA.L.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases by using context clues, analyzing meaningful word parts, and consulting general and specialized reference materials, as appropriate.
TEKS Grade 1 6C Determine what words mean from how they are used in a sentence.
TEKS Grade 2 5B Use context to determine relevant meaning of unfamiliar or multiple meaning words.
TEKS Grade 3 4B Use context to determine relevant meaning of unfamiliar or multiple meaning words and homographs.
TEKS Grade 4 3B Use context within and beyond a sentence to determine the relevant meaning of unfamiliar words or multiple-meaning words
TEKS Grade 5 3B use context within and beyond a sentence to determine the relevant meaning of unfamiliar words or multiple-meaning words
More About This Product
With the Scavenger Hunt game I have the students complete it as part of a rotation during reading groups. I only have 4 or 5 students walking around with clipboards to locate the sentence cards and write their answers. Students needing extra support can be paired with a partner for this activity. I have also done similar activities with the whole class or as a filler for early finishers, especially if you made the cards a little bit tricky to find. My students enjoy this activity.
You May Also Like
Context Clues Scavenger Hunt Contains 16 word cards and a list of key words used to determine context and a set of definition cards.
Context Clues Scavenger Hunt Set II This product contains 20 words and 2 different context clues foldables.
Context Clues Scavenger Hunt Set III This product contains a Context Clues Crossword Puzzle challenge.
Or buy them all for less!
Tips for Customers
• Follow my store for product updates and sales.
• Follow my Facebook page to find occasional flash freebies and ½ price sales on new products here
• Please leave feedback to gain credit for future purchases.
• Contact me through Product Q&A with any questions, concerns, or problems.
Ann Fausnight ♥