The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe Activity Bundle Common Core Aligned
This is a very comprehensive bundle of instructional resources and activities related to the short story, The Cask of Amontillado, by Edgar Allan Poe. This lesson focuses on cooperative learning and is aligned to United States Common Core Curriculum Standards. I think your students will enjoy this bundle which includes:
1) A comprehensive, The Cask of Amontillado, Lesson Plan,” aligned to Common Core Standards:
2) A scavenger hunt for information: This is 32 question active reading scavenger hunt where students actively hunt for information in the story and analyze it in depth while they read. They must provide textual evidence to support their answers. These scavenger hunts are meant to enhance enjoyment and check for understanding. They are always a hit with my high school kids. Answer sheets are included.
3) Word Detective
This is a word attack activity called, Word Detective where students act as vocabulary detectives and try to determine the meaning and part of speech of new words through context. First they will use contextual clues to guess the meaning of new words based on how they are used in actual passages from the story. Then they will use a thesaurus or dictionary to check comprehension and find synonyms for each word. An answer sheet is included.
4) 2 comprehensive crossword puzzles related to characters, events, figurative language, and vocabulary, in the story. Answer puzzles are included. Someone thought the original puzzle might be a little too difficult, so I have given 2 versions of this puzzle for different level students.
5) An Active Reading Foreshadowing Graphic Organizer. In the beginning of the story, Montresor reveals that he is angry with Fortunato and seeks revenge without retribution. As students read the story they track hints or clues that foreshadow that Montresor is tricking his old friend into a dangerous trap.
6) Two variations of the Edgar Allan Poe Graphic Organizer and Internet Scavenger Hunt
These are two graphic organizers that students use to do research on the life of Edgar Allan Poe. They break his short life into segments and ask the students to find specific information from the Internet or other reference sources. They are fun and give insight into Poe’s life and personality.
7) The Cask of Amontillado Short Story Power Point
This is an interactive Power Point which focuses on the different kinds or Irony found in this story. It is engaging, interactive, and contain attractive clip art and graphic images which allow your students to actively participate in a discussion. I spent a lot of time on this and i think that you will enjoy the fruits of my labors..
8) An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer/story map: An active reading graphic organizer that helps your students identify and chart the literary elements in the story as they read.
I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle on the Web. There are over 30 pages of activities plus a power point presentation. .
You can also access my store at