The Tell Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe Activity Bundle
This is a very comprehensive bundle of instructional resources and activities related to the short story, "The Tell Tale Heart," by Edgar Allan Poe. This lesson focuses on cooperative learning and is aligned to United States Common Core Curriculum Standards. I think your students will enjoy this bundle which includes.
1) A scavenger hunt for information: This is 30 question active reading scavenger hunt where students actively hunt for information in the story and analyze it in depth while they read. They must provide textual evidence to support their answers. These scavenger hunts are meant to enhance enjoyment and check for understanding. They are always a hit with my high school kids. Answer sheets are included.
2) A comprehensive crossword puzzle related to characters, events, and vocabulary, in the story. An answer puzzle is included
A Word Detective/Word Attack vocabulary activity. works.
In this activity, students act as vocabulary detectives using their word attack skills to determine the meaning of new words in context, using actual dialogues and narration from the story. They are also asked to provide synonyms and identify parts of speech. There are also questions related to figurative language and word variation. Answer sheets are again included
4) Two Edgar Allan Poe Graphic Organizers: These are two graphic organizers that students use to do research on the life of Edgar Allan Poe. They break his short life into segments and ask the students to find information from the Internet or other reference sources. They are fun and give insight into Poe’s life and personality.
5) A Figurative Language Worksheet (Test)
This is a worksheet with 24 passages containing the different types of figurative language in them. I have also included an answer sheet. It can be used as a worksheet or a test– Answer sheet is included.
6) An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer/story map: An active reading graphic organizer that helps your students identify and chart the literary elements in the story as they read.
I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle on the Web.
You can also access my store at