Have some fun with Halloween writing! Each student will explain how to carve a pumpkin. The step-by-step nature of a familiar topic makes writing a how-to paragraph a snap! This activity focuses on writing good beginnings and endings, word choice, sentence variety, clear sequencing and use of order words.
This engaging Halloween writing activity guides students through the entire writing process. As they write how-to paragraphs, students build skills for Common Core State Standards W.3.2 and W.4.2. The unit includes:
• Teacher Directions – Three pages of directions give suggestions for focusing on explanatory writing, planning, developing, using powerful word choice, hooking the audience, wrapping it up, revising, and editing.
• Student Planning Pages – Four student planning pages will guide your students in planning, sequencing, introducing, and concluding.
• “WOW Words” – This four-page student thesaurus was specially designed for this Halloween writing activity. When printed back-to-back and folded, it makes a handy guide to help your students with word choice, including specific nouns, lively adjectives, active verbs, and words that show order and direction.
• Themed Writing Paper – A lined sheet of paper with a pumpkin at the top of the page is available to print for the students’ Halloween writing.
• Student Editing Checklist – Written in student-friendly terms, this comprehensive writing checklist may be used for editing during a writing conference with the teacher, with peers, or independently.
• Rubric – Also written specifically for this activity, the rubric directly corresponds to the student editing checklist.
Click on PREVIEW to take a look at this entire black-and-white version of this product. NEW! The file now includes a color version too!
Like what you see? Click on Follow Me to be notified as other products are published.
I hope your students love this Halloween writing activity as much as mine do.
For weekly ideas, activities, links, and freebies, check out my blog, Enjoy Teaching
Common Core State Standards Addressed:
Grade 3 – L.3.1, L.3.2, L.3.3, L.3.5, W.3.2, W.3.4, W.3.5, W.3.6
Grade 4 – L.4.1, L.4.2, L.4.3, L.4.5, W.4.2, W.4.4, W.4.5, W.4.6
Other Writing Resources by Brenda Kovich:
The Best-Dressed Witch
Just So Stories
Animal Research Packet