Art Lesson Plan: Halloween Mask Gr. 6-8, adapt 3-5, 9-12. NeoPopRealism ink & pen drawing
NeoPopRealism ink pen/ pattern drawing: A Halloween Mask -
The Monsters and Ghosts That Go BOO
Grades: 6-8, adapt. 3-5, 9-12
Subjects: Visual Arts, Language Arts, Music
Developed by NeoPopRealism Press www.neopoprealism.org
TIME: Three 45-minute class periods
- Learn a brief history of Halloween.
- Examine NeoPopRealist Halloween Mask.
- Learn (or be reminded) about NeoPopRealism ink pen pattern drawing style and concept that Nadia Russ created in 1989: A line creates shape, then this shape is divided into sections. Then, sections filled with different imaginative repetitive patterns, some sections should be left blank. Eraser never used (see Resources) because if a 'mistake' made it visually disappears after new patterns balance the whole composition (see http://neopoprealismblackwhiteink.blogspot.com/).
- Compare the traditional Halloween Masks and NeoPopRealism Halloween ink pen/ pattern Mask to respond to questions and make comparisons about art styles NeoPopRealism and Realism.
- Create a new monster Mask in the NeoPopRealism ink pen/ pattern drawing manner for a scary movie "NeoPopRealist Halloween: Monsters and Ghosts That Go BOO".
- Create and write a name of the monster and a brief story about how this monster scary people, about favorite things it eats, where it lives.
- Brainstorm to think of and list all the supernatural creatures, classify them by size and habits.
- Students dance with the NeoPopRealism Halloween Masks they created on their heas, expressing the Monsters' characters. Music can be found online. Teacher tapes a short movie (10 min or less) "NeoPopRealist Halloween: Monsters and Ghosts That Go BOO" of this collective dance and posts this film on Youtube.com.
- Two sheets of white paper 8.5"x11"
- Black ink pen 0.7 mm.
- Black marker
- Middle size brown paper bag (regularly it can be found in supermarkets and other stores)
- Small digital camera to tape 8-10 min movie
- Computer or player to play Halloween dance music
Art Lesson Plan: Halloween Mask Gr. 6-8,adapt 3-5 ,9-12. NeoPopRealist ink pen pattern drawing
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Based on a work at http://neowhimsies.blogspot.com/2012/10/art-lesson-plan-9-gr6-8adapt-3-59-12.html