Halloween Math Game
- Tac-Tix is an Addition Game and Subtraction Game in one with a Halloween theme for 2 players. The game is designed to enable students to practice number strategies for adding and subtracting in the range of 10 to 100. It also encourages experiments with logical and strategic thinking. Each player takes turns to remove a counter or counters from the board. The winner of the game is the one who forces their opponent to remove the last counter.
What you Need
1 game board
- Place 16 counters over the numbers on the board.
- Decide on the number to practice adding or subtracting e.g. If 10 is selected then 10 is added or subtracted to each number when uncovered.
How to Win
- Force your opponent to remove the last counter.
How to Play
1. The person with the longest little finger goes first. Take turns going first in the following games.
2. Player 1 removes 1, 2, 3 or 4 adjacent (side by side) counters from along one of the straight lines.The player then answers the algorithms revealed.
NB A player may not remove a series of pieces if there is an empty space between the pieces.
3. Player 2 then does the same.
4. Play continues until one player is forced to remove the last counter.
- Only answer the last algorithm revealed by each player on their turn.
- Change the number to be added or subtracted e.g. 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 8, 11 etc
- I like starting this game by adding and subtracting 10 then move on to other numbers.
Before the Game
• Use a Hundreds Chart to explore patterns for adding and subtracting ten from a number and other strategies.
• Discuss possible efficient strategies for adding & subtracting 10 and other numbers
During the Game
- Monitor the players to see which strategies they are using.
After the Game
- Where to next?
- Mathematicians have studied this game for a very long time and have figured out there is a way for the person who moves second to always win. Try to discover this method.
Hint: The winning strategy has something to do with removing pieces which are 'symmetrically opposite'.
- Search the Internet for an online version of this game i.e. Play this game against a
- Design your own five by five or six by six board Tic Tax board.
Included in this Printable Game Download
6 full color game boards with different number arrangements
6 low color game boards with different number arrangements
1 PowerPoint File with All the Color Boards for Easy Game introduction and Number talks
1 set of rules and teaching notes
CHECK OUT MY MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includes ALL
the Math and Literacy games currently in my store PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
It's like a great classroom resource that just keeps on giving. :-)
CLICK HERE to see the Mother Load :-)
PS Huge THANKS to the very talented Ron Leishman for the characters in this game.