This is a 45 slide, fully editable and informative assembly / lesson PowerPoint on Halloween.
Content makes reference to:
1. The Origins and History of Halloween - the Celts and the Festival of Sahain, All Saints' Day, All Hallows' Day, All Souls' Day and the rituals, traditions and customs surrounding all of these feasts.
2. The Origins of the Jack O' Lantern
3. The Origins of Trick-or-Treat - mumming, guising and souling
4. The Origins of Apple Bobbing - Pomona the Roman Goddess of fruitful abundance
The PowerPoint illustrates how, over time, Samhain, All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day have merged to create the Halloween we know today.
It ends with some questions to promote discussion
- In the UK this poster has been issued by West Midlands police for people to put on their door if they do not want trick or treaters to call. Do you think this is a good idea?
- What is your opinion about the custom of trick or treating?
- Most people enjoy taking part in Halloween festivities. However, some people suffer from 'samhainophobia‘ - fear of Halloween. What about you? Do you like Halloween or is it something you have a fear of?
- What kind of things do you do at Halloween?
- Do you think that Halloween will still be celebrated in 500 years time? If so, how do you think it will be celebrated?
The PowerPoint contains hyperlinks to Greenwich Village Halloween Parade in New York City - the world's largest Halloween parade, a short link to a video of the history of Halloween suitable for young students and a more detailed, in-depth video more appropriate for older students.