Products in this Bundle (2)
This fabulous Halloween bundle of two resources is a great way to tackle a STEM activity. Students will read about Halloween topics and complete comprehension activities during your reading block. Add the STEM Challenge to build a pumpkin launcher and your students will definitely ask for more of these combinations!
NOTE: Both resources in this bundle may be purchased separately.
NOTE: These two challenges are also part of an Escape Room Bundle!
- This set features upper 3rd to 5th-grade skills of finding the main idea, determining word meaning in context, finding evidence, matching items, listing examples, inferring, and basic reading comprehension questions.
- The set also makes use of nonfiction text features. You will find the use of bold print, bulleted lists, captions, italics, glossary, photos, graphs, fact boxes, and titles.
- The four reading passages are provided in two reading levels- an easier and a more challenging. The reading selections include a passage about the history of trick-or-treating, a passage about fears and phobias, a passage about haunted houses, and a passage about the tradition of carving a jack-o’-lantern.
- In addition, a newspaper mock-up article page is included that has 4 more reading selections. The articles include an article about mazes, an article about the best-selling candy, an article about the largest pumpkin ever grown, and a fact box article that include candy trivia. There is a comprehension question page for the newspaper set and 1 graphic organizer.
- All answer keys are provided.
What is the challenge?
In this challenge, students will design and build a launching device that will propel a piece of candy through the air and attempt to hit a target. The candy is your choice, but we used candy pumpkins. Students have some specific rules to follow in building the launching device and, of course, rules about launching the candy. The class will culminate with a target blasting opportunity for everyone!
What is your prep?
You will need supplies in addition to this package. This includes craft sticks, pipe cleaners, rubber bands, masking tape, 3-ounce cups, straws, plastic spoons, candy,
foam cups, and pom-poms or cotton balls (optional).
The package specifically includes:
- Table of contents
- Teacher background
- Materials and preparation page
- 4 pages of teacher directions
- 4 pages of photographs
- Extra Hints page
- 2 versions of constraints posters with matching lab sheets*
- Sample answer lab sheet
- Scoring rubric
- Editable file
NOTE: The reading resource is available in different formats without the STEM Challenge.
You may enjoy these Reading and STEM Resources:
- Animal Adaptations Reading and STEM Bundle
- Christmas Reading and STEM Bundle
- Gold Rush Reading and STEM Bundle
- Landforms Reading and STEM Bundle
- Muscles and Bones Reading and STEM Bundle
- Pirates Reading and STEM Bundle
- Sharks Reading and STEM Bundle
- Spiders Reading and STEM Bundle
- Sports Reading and STEM Bundle
- Valentine's Day Reading and STEM Bundle
- Volcanoes Reading and STEM Bundle
- Winter Sports Reading and STEM Bundle
You might also enjoy these Halloween resources:
- Escape the Haunted House Paperless Breakout
- Halloween Elevator Challenge
- Halloween Maze Challenge
- Spiders Escape Room
- Spider Cage Challenge
- Skeleton Escape Room
- Halloween Math Print and Solve
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Keep in Touch!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!