Also included in
- Halloween STEM Challenge Activities will keep your kids engaged in brain-busting work disguised as fun!This bundle includes the following 6 Halloween STEM activities:⭐ Halloween STEM Challenge: Bone Bridge® ⭐ Halloween STEM Challenge: Creature Catcher ⭐ Halloween STEM Challenge: Ghosts in the GPrice $8.98Original Price $17.50Save $8.52
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. The basic premise: Students work in partnePrice $95.00Original Price $188.80Save $93.80
- Halloween STEM Challenges are collaborative, brain-busting work disguised as fun! Treat Toss is a catapult challenge from Bone Bridge® STEM Challenges!The basic premise:In partners or groups, students work against a criteria and constraints list to build a low-energy machine to toss treats. The teacPrice $5.98Original Price $7.96Save $1.98
- Two Halloween STEM activities to engage your students in the 4 C's of engineering!Halloween STEM Activity 1: STEM ImprovA quick STEM activity to work on creativity, mental flexibility & the planning step of the Engineering Design Process (EDP).Here's how it works:1. Students will randomly selectPrice $5.50Original Price $7.00Save $1.50
Halloween STEM Challenges are collaborative, brain-busting work disguised as fun! Treat Toss is a catapult challenge from Bone Bridge® STEM Challenges!
The basic premise:
In partners or groups, students work against a criteria and constraints list to build a low-energy machine to toss treats. The teacher chooses from one of two challenge goals: maximum launch distance and/or target-accuracy.
This challenge is a great introduction to simple machines, particularly levers!
I received several requests to create a non-Halloween version of the student handouts to use at other times of the year or due to district rules regarding the holiday. A candy-only/non-Halloween version is now included!
Note: This is the printable version. If you are in a 1:1 / paperless classroom, you will want to check out the digital option for use with GOOGLE SLIDES (TM) instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to a video walk-through of the challenge & select PD videos series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Premise & Set-up
- Materials and timing
- Modifying Criteria & Constraints to adjust challenge difficulty
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list & links
EDITABLE Student Handouts (Two sets: Halloween Clipart & Candy "Anytime" Clipart)
- Criteria and Constraints List (editable versions provided)
- Results and Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included for both challenge goals: launch distance & accuracy)
- Discussion Questions
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
- Wrapped candy
- Small candies like Hershey’s Kisses are easier to launch and easy to locate post-launch. You may want to provide more than one option.
- Candy target/container (A printable target is included if you select the target-accuracy goal, but a Halloween-themed candy bowl is also fun!)
- Clothespins (1-2)
- Rubber bands (5-20 per student/group)
- Popsicle sticks/tongue depressors/craft sticks/pencils/wooden rulers/small scrap wood pieces (10 – 20)
- Something (or multiple things) to act as a fulcrum (markers, batteries, spice bottles, etc.)
- Tape (constrain to 24 in. or less)
- Tape measure
– Small cups
– Pipe cleaners
What are teachers saying about Treat Toss?
"Loved using this last year and can't wait to implement it again this year!"
“Excellent!! This really got kids thinking, being creative, and analyzing their choices!”
“This was our first stem challenge. We've done two now. Perfect activity for the holidays. It's so fun, but requires critical thinking. Used in an SDC 3rd/4th grade classroom-students worked in groups. Looking forward to more of these challenges. Thank you!”
“This was an amazing activity, perfect for the last day of school before Halloween. It kept my 5th graders engaged and thinking the entire time. I loved the reactions I got from them when something worked or didn't work. I will be purchasing your activities in the future!”
"Fun activity to do with big buddy class. I used with first and fifth graders. Worked well with support from older students."
"2nd-5th grade enjoyed this challenge."
"Was a great activity for my sixth graders! I really like the reflection pages and questions!"
"Fun activity!" (7th grade teacher)
"This was a fun activity for my 6th-8th grade SPED class! Thank you!"
You may also like these resources: