Also included in
- Halloween STEM Challenges from Bone Bridge® STEM Challenges will keep your kids engaged in brain-busting work disguised as fun during otherwise distracting holiday!The basic premise: Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build Halloween-themed dev$7.98$19.90Save $11.92
- Halloween STEM Challenges are collaborative, brain-busting work disguised as fun! This is the first resource from Bone Bridge® STEM Challenges!The basic premise:Students work in partners or groups against a list of criteria and constraints to build a bridge for length, strength, or capacity using si$4.78$7.96Save $3.18
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. The basic premise: Students work in partne$83.20$206.73Save $123.53
Halloween STEM Challenges are collaborative, brain-busting work disguised as fun! This is the first resource from Bone Bridge® STEM Challenges!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against a list of criteria and constraints to build a bridge for length, strength, or capacity using simple materials.
This challenge goes beyond Halloween! Connect this to the skeletal system, bridges/transportation, and/or forces (specific ideas included).
Note: This is the printable version. If you are in a 1:1 / paperless classroom, you will want to check out the digital option for use with GOOGLE SLIDES (TM) instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
– Cotton swabs (30 - 50)
– Pipe cleaners (5 – 10)
– Popsicle/craft sticks (5 - 10)
– Penny (to measure gap constraint)
– Rulers/measuring tapes (tip: pick up paper measuring tapes from Ikea)
– Copies of data recording & analyzing handouts
• Tape, cable ties
• Candy pumpkins or base-ten blocks for weights (if weight/capacity criterion is used)
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to a video walk-through of the challenge & my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Premise & Set-up
- Materials and timing
- Modifying Criteria & Constraints to adjust challenge difficulty
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list & links
- Criteria and Constraints list (editable version provided)
- Design Analysis Handouts (editable; two sets & two versions: 2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included for two different goals: length or length + weight held)
- Discussion Questions (editable)
- Process flow map
- Create & solve math problems based on designs
- Bone Idioms activity template (editable)
- Bridge Idioms activity template (editable)
What are teachers saying about Bone Bridge®?
“The class had so much fun with this challenge! When we started putting weights on each bridge they were cheering so loud other teachers had to come see what was happening.”
“I love the optional extensions and discussion questions! That will help me differentiate for my high functioning students.”
“Another great STEM challenge to add to my curriculum! Well done!”
“Used the Bone Bridge for my evaluation lesson! Went great and the kids loved it!” (feedback left in the Halloween 5-in-1 Bundle)
“This was perfect! Much more challenging than the students expected!”
"Love it! I hate giving up an instructional day for Halloween. This is a challenge and a great use of time on an otherwise crazy day. Thank you!"
You may also like these products: