Also included in
- Halloween STEM Challenges from Bone Bridge® STEM Challenges will keep your kids engaged in brain-busting work disguised as fun during otherwise distracting holiday!The basic premise: Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build Halloween-themed dev$9.98$19.90Save $9.92
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. (Note: Two of the 52 challenges are includ$104.00$204.77Save $100.77
- Halloween STEM Challenges are collaborative, brain-busting work disguised as fun! Creature Catcher is from Bone Bridge® STEM Challenges!The basic premise:Students work in partners or groups against a criteria and constraints list to design a device to catch as many “creatures” as possible. The often$5.98$7.96Save $1.98
Halloween STEM Challenges are collaborative, brain-busting work disguised as fun! Creature Catcher is from Bone Bridge® STEM Challenges!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against a criteria and constraints list to design a device to catch as many “creatures” as possible. The often choose to create a spider web, but when you leave it open-ended, you'll get a LOT more creative ideas besides a web!
If you aren't allowed to do Halloween activities, you can use this to start off a unit on spiders, food chains/webs, energy pyramids and more!
Note: This version is for use with Google Slides in 1:1/paperless* classrooms. If you prefer to print and have students complete work with paper/pencil, you'll want to look at the PRINTABLE VERSION instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to STEM Challenge how-to videos
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable version provided)
- Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
- Process flow map
- Create & solve math problems based on designs
- 12 sample word problem slides (3 sets of 4 questions at different levels)
- Related video slides
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.)
– Yarn, string, or twine (3 – 5 yards)
– Pipe Cleaners (4 – 6)
• plastic bugs, bats, spiders, etc. (one set per class or per testing station will do)
– ~12 x 12 in. mat or bucket
– Copies of data recording & analyzing handouts
– Additions or substitutions for string:
• cable ties
– Coffee filters, foil, or paper (makes the challenge easier for younger students)
– Mix-ins (if adding increased-difficulty criterion for some objects to pass through the creature catcher)
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
Note: Comments taken from the print version.
“This was a favorite for my students:)”
“Extremely thorough and well written! Can't wait for more of your STEM resources!”
“The students enjoyed the activity. The follow up questions were great.”
“My students had so much fun making the spider webs. Can't wait to do some more of the activities.” (Feedback from the Halloween 5-in-1 Bundle. )
“One of the best things I have ever purchased on TPT! It was awesome and still very educational! Kids loved having fun while learning! I am buying more STEM from her now!”
“My class LOVED this activity and enjoyed comparing their creature catchers. They were surprised by the different ways a group could be successful. Thank you for sharing.”
You may also like these resources:
Please check out the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!