Looking for a fun Halloween activity that involves science, technology, engineering, and/or math? Working individually or with a partner against a criteria and constraints list, students design and engineer a new set of bat wings, with the goal being to achieve maximum flight distance and/or accuracy. You can even throw in style points, if you like! It's a paper airplane challenge with a twist!
*** CLICK HERE FOR A VIDEO PREVIEW ***
This is great for Halloween or just connected to a unit on bats (especially if your school frowns on Halloween activities)!
This is one of five Halloween STEM Challenges. They can be purchased in a bundle at a 40% discount:
Halloween STEM Challenge: 5-in-1 Bundle (2nd – 8th)
This resource is also available in the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE at an even greater discount!
Benefits of this STEM Design Challenge:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 45 – 60 min. if you are including data gathering and analysis rather than just building for fun. I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.
For each student or group:
– Bat Body copies
– Tapes measure
– Copies of data recording & analyzing handouts
– Optional: tape, notebook paper, copies of extension handouts
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to a video walk-through of the challenge & my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Premise & Set-up
- Materials and timing
- Modifying Criteria & Constraints to adjust challenge difficulty
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Wingless bat body handouts (2 options provided)
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable version provided)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included)
- Discussion Questions
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
What are teachers saying about Wings Wanted?
“Easy to implement engineering project- great to keep kids engaged before Halloween!”
"GREAT activity! Bought this to use as a "pop-in parent" activity in a 2nd and 4th grade classroom - it worked so well I'm going to use it in my adult education classroom too! Very adaptable for differentiation!"
“Challenging and engaging”
“LOVE! I add in STEM every day - my students had a blast with the Bat Planes. I appreciate the detail and thought that went into these packets. AWESOME RESOURCE!!” (feedback left in the Halloween 5-in-1 Bundle)
“The students loved it!”
You may also like these products:
STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE
Halloween STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
Thanksgiving STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
Twilight Zone Plot Diagram, Summary, and Writing Activities (5th– 8th)
Halloween Parts of Speech Activity (2nd – 3rd)
Graphing with Skittles Activity (2nd – 3rd)
Photosynthesis: Hands-on Modeling Activity
Analyze and Interpret Data Unit
Getting Started with STEM Challenges FREEBIE