Products in this Bundle (5)
Also included in
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. (Note: Two of the 52 challenges are includ$104.98$204.77Save $99.79
Looking for some fun Halloween activities that incorporate science, math, technology, and engineering? STEM or STEAM Challenges will keep your kids engaged and working during an otherwise distracting holiday!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build Halloween-themed devices (and each challenge can also be related to a non-Halloween theme if your school doesn't allow holiday activities).
Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
Note: This version is for use with Google Slides in 1:1 / paperless classrooms. If you prefer to print and have students complete work with paper/pencil, you'll want to look at the PRINTABLE VERSION instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
There are five STEM design challenges included in this bundle at a great discount:
⭐ Halloween STEM Challenge Wings Wanted 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Halloween STEM Challenge Treat Toss 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Halloween STEM Challenge Ghosts in the Graveyard 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Halloween STEM Challenge Creature Catcher 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Halloween STEM Challenge Bone Bridge®1:1 PAPERLESS
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above.
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker (Google Slide format & printable version)
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to STEM Challenge How-To videos
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of each challenge
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable version provided)
- Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
- Process Flow Map
- Create & Solve Math Problems Based on Designs
- Several video / website slides for broadening understanding of related topics
- Plus, other design-specific extensions (see each individual challenge resource description page for more details)
Benefits of this STEM Design Challenge:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- Helps students develop growth mindset traits like persistence and resilience
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for ~60-90 min. if you are including data gathering and analysis rather than just building for fun. If you add extension activities, you will need to adjust timing accordingly.
What are teachers saying about this bundle?
Note: Comments taken from theprint version.
"This is the best resource I have ever purchased on this site! I couldn't believe that there were so many resources embedded in the activities. Not only do you get the challenges, but how-to video links, links for your students (Which I sent via Google Classroom to my students), and extension activities for writing. WOW! I was so impressed I bought the Thanksgiving STEM challenge."
“These were great challenges. The materials were easy to gather and I liked that there were suggestions to make them easier or harder. My students loved these!”
“Loved the stem activities and so did my students. Everyone was totally engaged.”
"I can't wait to do this with my students!! The student pages are very organized and complete. It will be so easy for me to prepare for these challenges with the supplies listed in such an organized fashion. Thanks for providing such a great resource!"
"AMAZING!! The quality to this download and organization is flawless. One of the most extensive things I have bought and I am SO EXCITED to use in my classroom! My kids are going to love it. THANK YOU :)"
“Excellent STEM resource for Halloween...super thorough lessons. Worth the $10 for all the work that KT provided. Thank you!”
“Fantastic unit! Very detailed, leveled worksheets, youtube videos with instructions, materials list, etc. So great! Thank you!”
“Used the Bone Bridge for my evaluation lesson! Went great and the kids loved it!”
"This is fantastic. I'll be using the bone bridge today with my GT class. This package made putting together my lesson plans a snap. There were several youtube videos to choose from with an academic focus that related to the fun activity. There were a variety of reflection cards to choose from that ranged in complexity of thought. I thought it was a pricey item, and I don't normally spend this much on one unit activity, but I feel like it was worth it."
"Exceptionally imaginative ideas for STEM activities based on a theme. Embedded lInks to the online videos are great. As much a professional development program, as a pupils engineering activity. Terrific."
"I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS!!! MY KIDS ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS!! I love that it challenged kids in a fun way and allowed kids that may not be "worksheet smart" the opportunity to shine with their tactile design skills! My kids begged me to do it again each week - that same activity because they thought of a new way to improve their design. It was a fun teaching moment where I didn't feel like the teacher on the Charlie Brown cartoons - lecturing all day. Thanks for creating these - on to find next months!"
"This is my first year teaching science/STEM. My kids LOVED this! Many even went home and worked to improve their designs before class the next day. They also started talking with other school staff about the science behind what they were doing - they are taking off on their own and it's fantastic!"
"This bundle was so detailed and specific! As a first time STEM challenge teacher, I found this so helpful and easy to facilitate for my elementary students. Thank you!"
You might also like these resources:
Please check out the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!