This lesson plan provides a printable or projectable informational text that focuses on the historic origins of the holiday and compares Halloween traditions then and now.
This lesson plan includes a variety of activities to support your English Language Arts standards during this Halloween season! The lesson guides students to revisit the text in search of deeper information, talk about the text, take notes, and write about their new learning in a fun Haunted House shape book!
This Halloween resource includes:
- printable student informational text booklet: "Halloween: Then & Now"
- projectable teacher informational text: "Halloween: Then & Now"
- one page printable article: "Halloween: Then & Now"
- two lesson plan options: An engaging I Observe, I Think, I Wonder lesson or a thorough lesson plan that will walk you step by step through the close reading process
- grade specific text dependent questions for 4th, 5th and 6th focused on RI standards
- text dependent questions answer keys
- note taking graphic organizers
- partner talk strategy poster
- student writing printable: Haunted House Shape Book
- witch craftivity template and instructions
Students LOVE Halloween and sometimes teachers wish they could feed off that energy to make the holiday a little more educational. We've created a meaningful way to engage students in the excitement of Halloween while also meeting ELA standards.
Our buyers say:
"The students really enjoyed this! They didn't even realize they were practicing so many reading skills!"
"Great resource for teaching a multidisciplinary lesson on a topic students can be excited about - kids LOVE Halloween!"
***Lessons are also available for grades 1-3.***
Visit our blog here to find out more about turning Halloween into something educational.
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!