PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the play. Since most answers consist of only one word, students will benefit more from the use of a thesaurus than a dictionary.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from HAMLET. Either as a homework assignment or as an opportunity for students to work in pairs with a thesaurus in class, it's a great way to prepare students for reading the play and, thus, understanding the story. Note that the parts of speech are included to aid students in finding the exact definition. Finally, words are defined according to context.
Examples of clues:
* Surreptitious (adj.) Answer: secret
* Duplicity (n.) Answer: deceit
* Churlish: ___-mannered (adj.) Answer: ill
* Jest (v.) Answer: joke
* Sovereign (adj.) Answer: supreme
FYI: This puzzle includes the 25 Words to Know from the companion product HAMLET edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS. Students can refer to their bookmarks for definitions as they read the story as well as to a list of main characters, author information, and more. Students and teachers alike love these handy, 4-star-rated reading aids!
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a synonym/antonym crossword over the same 25 words. See product list below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over HAMLET—many are perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them all in my store.
• Bookmarks Plus: HAMLET edition—Great Reading Aid!
Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• HAMLET: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Familiarizes Students with Vocabulary!Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Hamlet edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Hamlet Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• HAMLET: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Challenging!
Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• HAMLET: 10 Quotefall Puzzles—A Fun Spelling Workout!
Each quotefall is a quotation from the play. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• HAMLET: Character Word Search with Hidden Message Students locate 27 characters’ names in the puzzle grid with the hidden message “To Be or Not to Be.”
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!