This 138-page Hamlet Literature Guide includes everything you need to teach Shakespeare's Hamlet with ease. Ready-to-use, standards-aligned activities, lesson plans, quizzes, test, essay prompts, project ideas, and more.
This Hamlet unit has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 9-12.
Since 2005, Simply Novel (formerly Secondary Solutions) has been creating highly-acclaimed, superior-quality resources for middle and high school ELA. You can be assured that our products truly deliver!
Here's what MrsLoveLIT (TpT Seller) said: I've used so many of this seller's unit plans, and they are all very detailed and thorough. Highly recommended!
This rigorous, fully-aligned Literature Guide for teaching Hamlet includes:
- Pre-Reading Activities List
- Historical and Cultural References: Hamlet Research (online research for mini research paper)
- Scene Guides for active reading and keeping track of important events and elements of Hamlet
- Comprehension and Analysis Questions
- Post-Reading and Extension Ideas
- Essay and Writing Prompts
- Informational Focus: The Elements of Drama and corresponding Comprehension Check Questions
- Informational Focus: Shakespeare’s Theater and corresponding Comprehension Check Questions
- Author Biography: William Shakespeare and corresponding Comprehension Check Questions
- Anticipation/Reaction Activity (to explore themes and provoke discussion)
- Appreciating Shakespeare’s Language
- The Sonnet Form and Iambic Pentameter (RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.4, RL.11-12.5, RL.11-12.6)
- Comprehensive list of Allusions and Glossary of Terminology from the play (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
- Vocabulary Lists, with and without definitions (L.9-10.6; L.11-12.6)
- CCSS Reading: Literature Focus Lessons including those on
- Author’s Choice (RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.5)
- Conflict (RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Recognizing Thematic Clues (RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Mood and Tone (RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.5.A)
- Connotation and Vocabulary (L.11-12.3.A, L.11-12.4.C)
- Style (RL.11-12.4, RL.11-12.6)
- Character Motivations (RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Characterization - Unfolding a Tragedy (RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Plot Development (RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.5)
- CCSS Writing Focus activities and lessons, including those on
- Making Claims in Argument (W.11-12.1.A, W.11-12.1.B, RL.11-12.1)
- Discerning Between Supported and Unsupported Claims (W.11-12.1.A-E, RL.11-12.1)
- Supporting Claims in Argument (W.11-12.1.A-E)
- Explanatory Writing- Instructions for Revenge (RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, L.11-12.5, W.11-12.3.A-E)
- Response to Literature (W.11-12.1.A-E, RL.11-12.1)
- CCSS Language Focus activities and lessons, including
- Nuances (L.11-12.4.C, L.11-12.4.D, L.11-12.5.A)
- Parallel Structure (L.11-12.5)
- Context Clues (L.11-12.4.A)
- Figurative Language (L.11-12.5, L.11-12.5.A)
- Vocabulary in Context (L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4, L.11-12.4.A)
- Analogies (L.11-12.4.A, (L.11-12.5.B)
- CCSS Listening and Speaking Focus: Hamlet’s Tragic Flaw (SL.11-12.2, SL.11-12.4, SL.11-12.5, SL.11-12.6)
- Quiz on each Act
- Two Final Exam Options - One entirely Multiple Choice
- Teacher's Guide with
- Summary of the Play
- Suggested Related Reading
- Notes for the Teacher
- Sample Agenda
- Answer Key
- Common Core Alignment Documentation
April K. said: Excellent. I used this when teaching Hamlet for the second time and it was much more helpful than any other resource that I used when I taught the play for the first time. High-quality quizzes.
Check out some of our other Complete Literature Guide Bundles for other popular high school titles!
Thanks for stopping by, and if you do decide to purchase, please do not forget to leave feedback. We are very interested in hearing your thoughts about our products!
Also, don't forget to "FOLLOW" us for exciting new product announcements, sales, promotions, and more! For teaching tips, advice, and more, please follow our BLOG!
Thanks again for stopping by,
PLEASE NOTE THAT SIMPLY NOVEL (FORMERLY SECONDARY SOLUTIONS) HAS OFFICIALLY COPYRIGHTED THIS MATERIAL. THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED FOR ONE TEACHER, WHO MAY MAKE AS MANY COPIES/REPRODUCTIONS AS NEEDED FOR HIS/HER CLASSROOM USE ONLY. POSTING THESE MATERIALS ON THE INTERNET FOR OTHERS TO VIEW OR ACCESS IS A VIOLATION OF COPYRIGHT. MODIFICATIONS, TRANSLATIONS, OR ANY OTHER CHANGES MAY BE MADE FOR PURCHASER'S CLASSROOM ONLY. THIS PRODUCT MAY NOT BE REDISTRIBUTED, SOLD, OR GIVEN AWAY FOR FREE WHETHER OR NOT CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT. FOR QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS, PLEASE CONTACT US BEFORE PURCHASING.