This collection of activities for Act 1 of William Shakespeare's Hamlet is focused on getting students working together in partnerships and small groups to decode and interpret the complex play. It includes a Reader's Theater schedule so that you can assign parts to students in advance if you enjoy reading the play aloud in class. Additionally, there are 1-2 engaging close-reading activities for each scene in the act.
Note: These materials are best suited to an on-level group of students, for which the focus is on both decoding and interpreting. I've used them for many years with my 12th grade students to great success. Some activities will translate to an AP or Honors course if modified.
This unit plan includes:
1. Step-by-step instructions for each activity, as well as suggested responses.
2. A Powerpoint presentation with directions for students and several key concepts.
3. 18 pages of ready-to-print, aesthetically pleasing handouts that guide students through close-readings.
4. A graphic organizer for Hamlet's soliloquies that you can use throughout the play.
5. A graphic organizer for film scene comparisons.
6. A Reader's Theater Schedule to assign parts for Act 1.
Keywords: Hamlet; Shakespeare; lesson plans; unit plans; common core; literature; printables; worksheets; handouts; Powerpoint; Reader's Theater