This resource can be used as whole group, small group, or center activities! I have included popular CVC words with pictures for these activities. The cards are color coded by vowel sounds for organization. There are also “I Can…” objectives for center use.
I have listed the different ways I use this with my own class, but I’m sure there are other activities to do with these too! Print on cardstock and laminate for durability. For activities 1 and 2, print two sided so the words are on the back of the picture cards then cut and laminate.
1. Read and Check: This activity could be done independently or with partners in a literacy center. If independent, students will sound out the CVC word and check the picture to see if they got it right. If working with a partner, students will take turns reading and listening for the sounds.
2. Word Family Sort: This activity could be done whole group in an anchor chart, or at an independent center or small group. Students will sound out and blend the CVC word (checking the back for a picture clue) and then sort the card into the correct word family.
3. Word Match: Print one sided for this activity. This activity works well for students who no longer need clues to read CVC words. Students will read the CVC word on a card then match it to its picture.
4. CVC Memory: Print one sided for this activity. This can be done independently or with partners in two different ways.
1. Use picture cards and CVC word cards. Students will put all the cards face down then pick two cards to flip over. The goal is to match the word with the picture.
2. Use only CVC word cards (make sure to use two copies!) and find two of the same word.