Linking early literacy with play is an effective way to make literacy activities meaningful and enjoyable for children while they are reinforcing basic skills. By manipulating and playing games with caps from milk or water bottles, all students, especially those with short attention spans or limited English skills, can strengthen both math and literacy skills. Since new teachers lack teaching supplies and money to purchase supplies, these inexpensive manipulatives called Cap Kits can easily be created by teachers, students, or parent helpers. Versatile and easy to use, Cap Kits:
• are recyclable and promote a “green” awareness;
• are developmentally appropriate for a variety of age groups and grades;
• can be used both at school and at home;
• can be created by both teachers and parents;
• support the Common Core State Standards; and
• are creative and only limited by the imagination.