Interactive Poetry Writing: This Common Core State Standards aligned Hands-On Poetry Writing Unit contains 5 super engaging, super interactive, and super educational poetry writing lessons. Each lesson is designed to help students interact with poetry and celebrate their creativity. During each lesson students develop their critical poetry analysis, comprehension, and writing skills while interacting with poetry in a hands-on way. Your students will not only enthusiastically participate in these lessons, they’ll also create some of the most original and insightful poems that have ever come across your desk. This collection of lessons is an absolute hit!
This Hands-On Poetry Unit
includes the following lessons and resources:
Figurative Language Centers & Poem
- During this lesson students will rotate in small groups around the classroom. At each station students will analyze sample poems and write using figurative language. Using their work at the centers as inspiration, students will write original poems filled with figurative language.
- Students will investigate line breaks in this lesson by physically cutting up a poem and predicting its line breaks. Based on their work, students will evaluate their version of the poem vs. the true poem. After completing a reflection on line breaks students will write a creative free verse poem.
Five Senses Poem
- In this lesson, students work in groups to create sensory poems after sampling snacks of food. Using their five senses, students will generate a listing of adjectives that will spark their group poems. Then, with their senses heightened, students will write a 5 Senses Emotion Poem.
Flip Side Poem
- Using a step-by-step guide students will write a poem from two opposing perspectives during this lesson. Their final poem is a spiral of words filled with original and inspiring poetry.
- In small groups, students will write poems after playing a Poetry Card Game. After accumulating and discarding cards, students will put together a poem that is not only completely unique, but composed in the most engaging way!
- This unit is very adaptable. It can be taught as an entire unit or it can be easily split into individual lessons throughout the school year.
Common Core Aligned Unit:
- W.3, W.5, W.6
- RL.4, RL.5, RL.6, RL.10
- L.3, L.5, L.6
This detailed Hands-On Poetry Unit contains:
• Teacher Unit Overview (with pictures of poem samples)
• Detailed Lesson Plans (5)
• Grading Rubric
• Poem Activity Materials:
◦Figurative Language Definition Cards (4)
◦Line Break Activity in Prose and Verse
◦Sensory Perception Analysis Key
◦Flip Side Contrasting Themes Topics (14)
◦Poetry Cards (64)
◦ Simile Center
◦ Personification Center
◦ Metaphor Center
◦ Hyperbole Center
◦ Line Break Overview
◦ Line Break Reflection
◦ Free Verse Poem Assignment
◦ Sensory Perception Overview
◦ Snack Challenge Graphic Organizer
◦ Sample Poems
◦ 5 Senses Emotion Poem Assignment
◦ Flip Side Poem Writing Guide
◦ Poetry Cards Directions
◦ Poetry Cards Example
You may also like…
Poetry Analysis Unit
"The Highwayman" Unit
Figurative Language Unit - 6 Types of Figures of Speech
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction