This is a hands on science lab. Please discuss prior to handing out the worms how to treat the worm nicely when handling it. I quickly remove the worm if a child mistreats it and allow them to watch another child so they can still complete the lab.
I have done it with my kindergarten class and also as an activity at Family Science Night at school. It was a very popular activity and was a hit with kids kindergarten to 5th grade. They came in and did the activity with their parents.
You will need to provide:
1. live night crawler worms from a bait shop. I get mine from the sporting goods area at Walmart.
2. squares of wax paper for them to put the worm on. (I use wax paper because it will not dry out the worm as quickly).
3. a small paper cup to cover the worm to make it dark
4. use of a flashlight (one per table is enough)
5. a pipette to add water to the wax paper as the worm begins to dry out
6. a small cup of water on each table
7. hand lens or magnifying glass