This package contains the following activities:
Step-by-step worksheets to construct 3-dimensional geometric solids (using the nets provided) and to calculate the surface area and volume of those solids. There are 4 worksheets:
• Construct a cylinder
• Construct a pyramid
• Construct a rectangular prism
• Construct a regular polygon prism
Also included in this package are:
• A handout of terminology & formulae for surface area & volume of solids
• A worksheet of practice problems of surface area and volume of solids (these problems are a bit more advanced and great for an honors-level class)
• Two PowerPoint files of nets for solids (the teacher can print whichever she chooses and students can cut them out to create solids following the steps in the worksheets)
Students always enjoy the creative, hands-on nature of these small projects. Generally, these can be completed in 2 to 3 class periods, depending on how creative the teacher allows the students to be. In addition to constructing the solids and doing the calculations, some students also prefer to color or decorate their solids, as they take great pride in their creations!
Depending on the class, the teacher may even allow students to work in pairs on constructing these solids!