Teach children to:
• Transition from 3-lined primary paper to standard two-line notebook paper.
• Learn several subtleties of mature handwriting including Raise the Roof, which means writing small enough within lines that the ‘tall letters do not bump their heads’ on the top line.
• Increase the speed of legible automatic printing with the use of a periodic alphabet race activity and charting tool.
• Use the principles of the three spaces of writing to write legibly in open spaces without lines.
• Review correct lowercase letter formations within the four letter groupings, with an emphasis on correct top-to-bottom letter formation.
• Practice the use of a conventions checklist. This checklist is especially useful for those children who need greater support to maintain legibility in their daily writing after they have finished Raise the Roof instruction.
Why does Raise the Roof work so well?
• Writing prompts are incorporated between lessons to help students generalize skills rather than just practice copying skills.
• Fun cartoon characters give handwriting tips and prompt students to self-check their work.
• Children also learn to self-check through the gradual introduction of a checklist.
• Children are motivated to improve their scores through the use of a self-charting, progress-monitor system.
* Raise the Roof, 35-page workbook. Raise the Roof is ideal for third-grade to fifth-grade students, especially those who are not learning cursive and who still struggle with automaticity of handwriting.
* Path of Movement Language.
* Lowercase Group Formation posters.
* About Raise the Roof teacher’s guide.
Print Path versus Handwriting Without Tears
PrintPath uses its own font that most resembles HWT. Print Path letters have a vertical alignment and do not push off the writing line; also, most Print Path lowercase letters are clearly made with single strokes. Print Path has its own distinct curriculum with scope, sequence, visual cues, verbal path of movement language, and multisensory methods. If you are looking for the Handwriting Without Tears curriculum, you can follow this link. Many teachers, therapists, and schools use Print Path products as their primary stand-alone handwriting curriculum. Some teachers and therapists purchase Print Path products to extend instruction after using either a Zaner-Bloser style or a HWT curriculum. Other teachers and therapists use PrintPath to help transition children from using the HWT two-lined paper to a more standard three-line primary paper. If you have any questions please feel free to email me! email@example.com
Raise the Roof! can be purchased at a discount in
For utilization of other research based best practices for handwriting instruction, you may be interested in this sequence of handwriting instruction:
Capitals First!: Book One [PreSchool / Kindergarten]
Capitals First!: Book Two [PreSchool / Kindergarten]
Numbers Next Bundle [PreSchool]
Numbers Next Practice Book [Kindergarten]
Lowercase at Last!: Book One [Kindergarten/ First Grade]
Lowercase at Last!: Book Two [Kindergarten/ First Grade]
Winged Writers [First Grade / Second Grade]
Second Grade Scores or Handwriting Superstars [Second - Third Grade]
Raise the Roof [Third – Fifth Grade]
**********What Teachers, Therapists & Parents say about Raise The Roof*****
✿ LOVE this! I love how it is organized step by step to teach the letter formations! I love the graph at the end the best!
✿ This is an AMAZING resource! My student LOVED it and I appreciated the thoroughness. This is a great transition to notebook paper.
✿ This is perfect for my homeschooled second grader who needs work on her handwriting.
✿ Awesome resource!! This is great for my students who continue to struggle with generalizing correct letter formations into their writing, as well as practicing appropriate sizing when transitioning to notebook paper. I have been using this with my 3rd to 5th grade students in OT. This will also be good handwriting practice to send home or carryover in the classroom.
✿ This was perfect for my SPED 6th graders who were "done" with the program, but needed more practice! Thanks
✿ This is a great way for kids who are in 2-5 that have not mastered basic handwriting skills to get extra practice. It is not babyish and the two students I used it with liked it.
✿ Such a great way to help that student who just doesn't seem to get why it is important to put the letters where they belong! Thank you!
✿ I have been using this with my 4th grade students during their OT sessions to review letter formations, sizing, spacing and sentence/paragraph editing and correcting. It provides a good review and extra practice.
✿ This was the perfect fix I needed for my 5th graders who struggled with legible handwriting.
✿ As a home educator, I found this a great tool to help my son who struggled with handwriting. He's now much more confident and really enjoys writing. Awesome!
✿ This kept me from pulling my hair out with my second graders. I loved the assessments!
✿ Your products are UH-AMAZING!
***********************Thanks for your kind words!***********************
Freebies and Discounts!
Follow Print Path on TeachersPayTeachers.com to stay updated on discounts and freebies. New products will be offered for free on occasion or discounted at up to 50% for the first 24 hours.
Comments... Love 'Em!!
Your feedback brightens my day and helps me to continually improve PrintPath products. If you download this product, I'd appreciate it if you'd leave a comment. Thanks!!
Unlimited copies for you and your students. However, you may not distribute additional copies to friends or fellow teachers.