PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Hanukkah Mini-Unit | Hanukkah Close Reading and Writing Activities
This Hanukkah resource will provide students with a short overview of Hanukkah including the history behind the holiday and how it is celebrated. It includes original informational passages, structured close reading practices, writing response activities, vocabulary booklet, and more. The close reading exercises have students scouring for examples of key ideas, text structure, and author’s craft with more than enough printable reading and writing activities to fill a short holiday week.
This resource was designed to be little to no-prep for you, last at least three days in the classroom, and works extremely well as an emergency sub plan resource. Simply copy enough pages for your class(s) and keep on hand with a copy of the included Teacher Notes. Perfect for days when you have to be out unexpectedly!
This unit includes:
1. Teacher Notes and Relative Common Core Standards. Seven pages of notes explaining what is included, the standards covered, and how to use the resources in your classroom.
2. Original Hanukkah Nonfiction Passage. Three versions of an original passage on the history of Hanukkah. Perfect for differentiating. Each passage is three pages long and includes several text features such as: captions, headings, and photos. Appropriate for high second grade to fifth grade.
3. Student “I Can” Statement Pages. Before each close reading activity is a sheet listing the standards covered in student-friendly text. Use this to preview the day’s work and prepare students for what they will do each day.
4. Hanukkah Close Reading Practices. Students read the passage three times and complete a different close reading practice after each.
5. Hanukkah Writing Prompts. Students use information from the passage to complete two writing prompts. In order to answer completely, they must use text evidence in their responses.
6. Hanukkah Writing Pages. These blank writing templates with a Hanukkah theme can be used in several ways – place in your writing center, use for writing letters, or creative writing. Eight options included – four in color and four black and white.
7. Hanukkah Vocabulary Booklet. Eleven words important to the Hanukkah story fill the pages of this booklet. Students write a sentence telling what they knew about the word before reading the passage, a sentence on what they’ve learned about the word, make connections to other words, and draw their idea of the word in the box.
8. Hanukkah Bookmarks
9. Hanukkah Close Reading Thinkmarks
10. Answer Keys to Close Reading Practices
Please see the preview to view examples of the resources included.
For other holiday themed resources, please see my Holiday Category that contains:
Thanks for stopping by my store and taking a look! Please contact me with any questions you have before purchasing.
Want to receive updates and discounts on newly listed products? Click the star by my name to follow my store. Subscribing to my newsletter will give you access to exclusive free resources, advance notice of special events, as well as occasional updates to posts and products.
© 2015 Jennifer Martinez, everything just so. All rights reserved. License permits individual use in single classroom only. To share with friends, please purchase additional licenses. No part of this work may be reproduced in any way or by any means without expressed written consent of the author. Thank you for helping to protect my work!