This resource contains a fully editable, colourful and informative 36-slide Powerpoint presentation on the Jewish Festival of Hanukkah (also known as the Festival of Lights) which is celebrated for eight days, usually between the end of November and the end of December. In 2017 Hanukkah begins on the 12th December and ends on 20th December.
Hanukkah commemorates the re-dedication of the second Jewish Temple in Jerusalem and the miracle of the menorah lights.
The PowerPoint explains what Hanukkah is and why and how it is celebrated.
The resource contains references to
1. Why Hanukkah is commemorated - the story of King Antiochus IV, Mattathias, Judah and the Maccabees.
2. The restoration and rededication of the Second Temple.
3. The miracle of the menorah and its significance.
4. Hanukkah food - fried food cooked in oil eg latkes and doughnuts
4. Hanukkah Games - the dreidel, gelt (chocolate coins)
The PowerPoint contains a hyperlink to a short and lively 5-minute video about Hanukkah.
This resource will help to contribute to the pupils' 'Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural' learning (SMSC) and will help to actively promote the values of mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.