Interest and engage your students in exploring the cultures and traditions of Hanukkah in a cross curricular manner. Students will study the religious, cultural, traditional, and impactful aspects of the Jewish holiday all while simultaneously making connections to their own lives and the world around them.
This unit includes...
table of contents
bulletin board ideas
a unit launch activity
8 lessons with attached worksheets and activities. Lessons topics include...
1. Hanukkah Histrionisa (a look at the history of Hanukkah)
2. The Festival of Lights (an in depth study of one of the bigger traditions)
3. Hanukkah Hall of Fame (looking into today's pop culture to see the religious faiths and practices of well known names)
4. Customs and Cuisine (study of traditional food of the holiday)
5. Dreidel Day (importance and history of, and how to play the game)
6. Musical Meanings (look into Hebrew language and the music of the holiday)
7. A Halt to Hanukkah (a look at the Jewish holiday during the Holocaust)
8. Cultivating the Culture (putting new knowledge to creating relationships with those of the faith)