Literacy Center Problems:
- students finish their centers early
- students are unengaged or bored of the activities
- Too much “busy” work
- students walk around aimlessly with “nothing to do”.
If you have any of these problems and want your students to be engaged in your literacy center time while reviewing important concepts, then this is the PERFECT
solution for you!
I’ve included MORE THAN ENOUGH
activities for each week in your class for an ENTIRE MONTH!
Each week, the SAME concepts are reviewed so that students spiral their learning for mastery. I’ve noticed a HUGE difference in my students’ retention of skills just from exposing the same concepts to them week after week!
You teach it, place it in the literacy center, and they review the skills every week on their own!
I’ve started this month with some review of 1st grade skills and some simple 2nd grade skills. Most students will already know these skills coming into 2nd grade, but you may need some review for those who need extra help.
Standards are written on every center label and checklist so that students know exactly what they are working on.
This month’s literacy center includes 3 weeks of:
- ABC Order L2.2
- Long/Short Vowel Sort RF2.3
- Nouns L1.1
- Sound Match L2.2
- Synonyms L2.5
- Antonyms L2.5
- Capitals/Punctuation L1.2
- Compound Words L2.4
- Syllable Count RF2.3
- Capitals: Names L2.2
- Adjectives L1.1
- Adjective/Noun Search L1.1
- Favorite Part RL2.1
- Story Map RL2.5
- Response sheets
- Center labels
- Center checklist
- Black and White version for ink friendly classrooms
My Literacy Centers:
* Promotes student choice – students can choose to start anywhere on the list
* Promotes teamwork (if they work in groups)
* Avoids crowding in certain centers
* Is NOT busy work
* Promotes independence - students are using a checklist and reviewing standards every week with little/no help from you
* Keeps kids from wandering aimlessly around the class with “nothing” to do
* Allows the TEACHER to decide when literacy centers are done and NOT the students
It truly is Happily NEVER After!
I will be adding new skills on top of the current ones in each month’s edition. Your literacy centers will GROW and students will be engaged because of student choice!
Please check out the preview for sample pages.
Thank you for looking!
Looking for the other months?
Happily Never After: The Land of Never Ending Literacy Centers - SEPTEMBER
Other months will be added during the 2016-2017 school year.