Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King is a great book to use to introduce biographies and informational text, as well as informational paragraph writing. It is totally appropriate for younger readers also! This journal includes graphic organizers, constructed response writing, vocabulary, My Diary-Retelling the story from MLK's point of view, and much more!
- Fiction vs. nonfiction
- What do you know about...
During Reading Activities:
-10 specific comprehension questions
- Sketch important life events.
After Reading Activities:
- Personal Traits analysis
- Compare and contrast
- Friendly letter writing - letter to Martin Luther King
- Reader's response writing prompt - text to self - 3 writing prompts: Write About It, Think about it, Go Deeper
- Book rating pages
- Author's purpose
- Vocabulary cards
- Biographical data - Summing it up - thoughts about what was read - Important Noun search
-Sketch favorite part.
-Web graphic organizer - facts about person
-Graphic organizer, informational paragraph
-Writing page - informational paragraph
-Write your own "I Have A Dream" speech
-My Life Diary-retelling story from MLK's Point of view (8 pages, with prompts)
Can be used in whole, small and individual settings. Can be used as individual pages or as a packet.
Thanks for considering this packet!