Throw Thomas Paine a Birthday Party!
(This item is also available as part of a bundle)
Learn American History while strengthening reading and comprehension skills. This is not just an empty template but a complete lesson with all materials provided. The flipbook is already filled with questions. Each section of the flipbook is tied to an informational text article. The articles are all provided in this download. The hours of research and preparation have already been done for you.
Students learn about Thomas Paine and other Revolutionary topics. The articles are:
1. Biography – A brief overview of Thomas Paine’s Life.
2. Patriots and Loyalists – Learn the vocabulary. Why would some colonists stay loyal to Britain?
3. Common Sense – A simple pamphlet that started a revolution.
4. Valley Forge – Learn about the birthplace of the American Army.
5. Saving the Soldiers – “These are the times that thy men’s souls…” Thomas Paine
A PDF document that contains the printable flipbook. The students will assemble their flipbooks. Then they can answer the questions in the flipbook after reading the articles. The teacher can present the articles to the whole class or the students can work in groups to complete the activity. Instructions and an answer key are contained within.
Page 1 and page 2 should be printed front and back with page 2 upside down.
Page 3 and page 4 should be printed front and back with page 4 upside down.
Cutting and Assembling: Cut along the solid lines where scissors are shown. Then fold the dashed lines. Put the booklet together by stacking the folds inside of each other. “Happy Birthday Betsy Ross” should be on top. Staple the booklet together and glue it beneath the picture of Betsy Ross