Edit: I have made this product free to give a more accurate sample of the kinds of texts and questions I have to offer. I hope that if you enjoy it you will consider returning for more. I frequently post new texts, so please follow me if you'd like to keep updated. Thanks in advance for any positive feedback. Enjoy!
- - - - -
Feel like pressure on your school to perform on state tests is pushing out your ability to talk about interesting current events? This passage can be used as a quick introduction to the Chinese New Year, as well as an opportunity to review common question stems. This passage includes 8 multiple choice questions as well as a very straight-forward extended response question (good for introducing students to this kind of response, and for discussing possible ways to organize an extended response).
Questions ask students to do the following and more:
* use the text to answer explicit questions that demonstrate comprehension
* identify the structure of a non-fiction text
* use context clues to define challenging vocabulary words
* refer back to particular paragraphs to locate information
* summarize the main idea of a paragraph
* compare and contrast using information in a text
* identify details in a text that support a statement