Please be sure to download the preview file. It shows all of the pages that are included in this product (except for the answer key pages).
I love using Maribeth Boelts' Happy Like Soccer
to support my “What do good readers and writers do?” habits. This product contains activities for students in your second through fourth grade class to complete before, during and after reading the text. It can be used as a guided reading or whole-class activity. The open-response questions encourage students to provide evidence from the text and are in line with the type of questions found on many standardized tests. Each open response question includes a proofreading checklist. There is something in this package for all learning levels. Everyone will feel included when you use this resource to support the text.
I hope you’ll love teaching with this text as much as I do. It has an easy-to-relate to plot and is full of all kinds of rich discussion opportunities. It’s especially appropriate for the beginning of the year, when you want to establish your routines and expectations for your reading and writing workshops.
The product includes:
• two different title pages (one with a cursive font/one without)
• Before reading activity: students write about a special gift they or even that made them happy
• Before reading activity: students respond to a set of four prompts about happiness and “silver linings”
• Before reading activity: students draw a picture of an event that made them happy
• During reading activity: students read the first page of the text and respond to a prompt about the character’s feelings
• During reading activity: open response question about the character’s actions
• After reading activity: open response question about the author’s purpose
• After reading activity: open response question about text-to-self connections
• After reading activity: a second open response question about text-to-self connections
• After reading activity: open response question about how the character shows bravery
• After reading activity: students identify the main events in the story
• After reading activity: students record any questions about the text they still have
• After reading activity: (suitable for students on a modified program) students fill in the blanks to re-tell the story
• Word study: students generate a list of verbs that relate to soccer
• Word study: antonyms
• Word study: synonyms
• Compare: on a Venn Diagram: soccer and another sport
• Math: product includes three soccer-themed multi-step Math problems
• Early finishers: a word search with text-related vocabulary
• Early finishers: a “Play with a partner” board game (uses a paperclip and pencil as a spinner).
Pages in this product do not necessarily have to be assembled into a booklet. They would also work very nicely broken up into Literacy/Math Work Stations.
Please be sure to download the preview file. It really is the best description of the product. In order for you to be sure this is the right product for you and your grade level, my preview displays all of the pages that are included (except for the answer key pages).
If after purchasing this product, you find there’s a question you’d like swapped for one that better suits your lesson, don’t hesitate to let me know. I’m happy to help and it takes no time at all. I can usually have the revised file back to you in no time!
Thanks so much for visiting my store,
You might also like:
Student Vacation Journal
Reading Response Mini-Booklet