This is a 16-page Math and Literacy booklet for students in Third and Fourth Grades to complete on or around St. Patrick’s Day. Most of the pages are based around the original two-page story included in the product called, “Luca’s Lucky Day”. This would easily work as your emergency day plans for substitute teachers for the month of March. The entire product could be completed in one day by some students, but I think the majority of students would require two school days to complete this booklet.
The product contains the following Literacy pages:
• a cover page to color
• an original two-page story about a character named Luca who must cope with not winning a St. Patrick’s Day raffle
• two pages where students complete reading response questions of varying level of difficulty
• a page to draw the mental picture students made in their minds while reading
• a page of multiple choice questions based on the story (mostly “right there” questions-great for differentiation)
• a Venn Diagram to compare two characters from the story
• a page about idioms and their meanings
• a page to draw the literal interpretation of an idiom (this page is always lots of fun for kids!)
• a page to practice plural words
The product contains the following Math pages:
• a page to practice addition and subtraction of two and three digit numbers with and without regrouping
• a page to practice probability skills by coloring candies according to a set of clues (e.g. “Color the candies so it is likely you will pull out a yellow one.”-some experience with probability terms is helpful)
• a page to transfer the information from the probability page to a bar graph with a scale of one square = two candies
• a page to practice subtraction of two digit numbers with regrouping on a slightly higher level
• Where appropriate, the answer key is included
This is meaningful, engaging work for students to complete either in-class or as a homework project. Students are required to think critically and respond to a variety of tasks on a higher level. This product would be suitable for higher level second graders and those students in fifth grade on a modified academic program.
**Please be advised that if you are looking for a product where students will learn about St. Patrick or the focus is on things that are green, symbols of luck, Ireland, etc. this is likely not be the product for you.**
The activities in this booklet are purposeful and for the most part, relate to the story included in the product which is all about showing good character and being “lucky” in life to have a loving family and a positive attitude. The preview is the best description of this product, please be sure to take a look as it shows all the items that are included.
Thanks so much for visiting my store. If there is anything I can do to make this product better suit your needs, please don’t hesitate to ask, sometimes all it takes is a little tweak here and there to make a product perfect for your classroom.