Activities to Generate Positive Energy and Get Students Writing about Happiness at the Same Time.
Do you and your students love the hit Happy by Pharrell Williams? These resources related to the song will get your students writing about Happy, thinking about happiness and creating projects aimed at producing a positive classroom environment. This packet includes:
• Background on the song, including a Twitter explanation of the lyrics from the songwriter.
• Lyrics: blank copy, annotated, and differentiated with a quick reference guide to poetic terms.
• Reading questions with suggested responses, journal and research ideas, writing checklists and rubrics.
• Poetry analysis of another poem for comparative purposes.
• Extension activities covering fashion writing, psychology, photography and video journalism.
• Other writing activities, such as describing the things that make you happy, brainstorming questions for the songwriter, writing a business letter, and a creative writing closing activity to make a perfect “Recipe for Happiness”. Bonus: my Nan’s amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe (really!) to get students thinking about the language of recipes.
• 4 separate files of PowerPoint presentations, including one analyzing the song’s lyrics, the “Happiness Recipe” project idea and 2 videos with suggested writing activities related to the videos. One video is about the world’s happiest country and the other video is about Martin Seligman’s Positive Psychology movement.
• Reflection ideas and a standards checklist.
*This product is for educational purposes and is not endorsed by Pharrell Williams.
A Note from Me:
I love making products for high school students that are creative, engaging and fun to use in the classroom! It is my sincere hope that you find this product useful. If you enjoyed this resource, check out some of the other products from my store at Allyson’s Creative Corner.
Life in Six Words Memoirs - Creative Writing
Persepolis Task Cards
The Catcher in the Rye Pre-Reading Choice Board
Allyson's Creative Corner
Your feedback is important. Please leave a rating and comments to earn valuable TPT credits for future purchases.
How to Rate this Resource:
• Go to My Purchases
. *You may need to log in.
• Look for the Provide Feedback
button beside each purchase.
• Once you click on the Provide Feedback button, you may leave a rating and a short comment.
• Each time you leave feedback, TPT gives you credits for you to use to lower the cost of future purchases.
Copyright © 2014, Allyson’s Creative Corner. All rights reserved. Downloading this resource entitles the purchaser to 1 single-teacher (or teaching team) classroom license, which includes the right to reproduce the pages in limited quantities for classroom/personal use only. Duplication for more than one teacher or classroom, department, school, tutoring center or similar institution or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden without written permission of the author. Copying any part of this product and placing it on the internet (a personal/class website) without permission is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). These items will be located by Google and traced back to the publishing site. Multiple licenses may be purchased at any time for a reduced price on the “My Purchases” page. Thank you for your understanding to uphold universally accepted codes of professional and ethical conduct while using this resource.