Students explore the Harlem Renaissance through poetry. Great for Black History month, American Literature, AP Literature, or simply to explore some amazing poets and their works.
First students choose either Langston Hughes, Alice Walker, W.E.D. Du Bois, or Maya Angelou. Then students read two biographies about the poet and two of the poet's poems. Finally, the students answer guiding questions that lead them on a exploration of the poet and the poet's work.
I always follow-up this activity by having students share their discoveries through presentations or discussion.
I am always amazed by the wonderful connections that students make through this poetry exploration.
"To know how much there is to know is the beginning of learning to live." - Dorothy West, Harlem Renaissance
Other Teacher's Best products that we are proud of -
• Writing Lessons:
- GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT
- LETTER LESSON
- IF WALLS COULD TALK
- WORD WEBS
- SCAFFOLD STORY
- PROTAGONIST POST
- JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER
- THE MIDDLES
- BUNDLE - E.L.A. TEACH-MANY-DAYS COMPLETE SET
• Classroom Essentials:
- ELA RUBRIC BUNDLE
- SUB PLANS BUNDLE
- ELA 9-10 CLASSROOM ESSENTIALS BUNDLE
- EMERGENCY SUB PLANS
• Rhetoric & Persuasion:
- RHETORICAL APPEALS UNIT BUNDLE
- ETHOS PATHOS LOGOS EXAM
- ETHOS PATHOS LOGOS Multimedia PRESENTATION
- ADVERTISEMENT INVENTION PROJECT
- RHETORICAL APPEALS WRITING ASSIGNMENT
- PROPAGANDA & PERSUASION TEST
• Literary Terms & Lessons:
- 3-TYPES of IRONY BUNDLE
- IMAGERY & DESCRIPTIVE SENTENCES
- GOLDILOCKS & the 3 POEMS
• Final Exams and End of Course Materials:
- COMPLETE English 9-10 Final Exam
- COMPLETE English 11-12 Final Exam
- Self Evaluation Essay
- High School Final Exam Essay
- Peer Editing Sheet
- Rhetoric, Persuasion Terms Mini-Research
- Mythology Poster Project
- To Kill A Mockingbird Movie Permission Slip
We are glad to offer professional and time saving products that add to the amazing things you are already doing in the classroom. Teacher Power!
* How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
Head on over to the My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I always love getting feedback as it helps me improve on my past and future products. Additionally the feedback gives you credits to use on your future purchases. A win/win!
* Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. About once a month I like to email my followers about a paid product that will be free for a weekend. Follow and get the heads up!