This full unit contains a variety of activities for studying "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut, including vocabulary, quizzes, and a fun short story writing assignment.
The unit could be great in conjunction with other classic short stories, especially dystopian stories, and could be a perfect pairing with a story like "THE LOTTERY."
But it could also be a great stand-alone unit. These dystopian short stories would also serve as a perfect introduction to a full dystopian novel unit like THE HUNGER GAMES, THE GIVER, FAHRENHEIT 451, 1984, DIVERGENT, and many others. This unit would also be an excellent pairing with my FREE "CREATING A DYSTOPIA"
PURCHASE UNITS FOR "THE LOTTERY" and "HARRISON BERGERON" TOGETHER!
INCLUDED IN THIS DOWNLOAD:
- A vocabulary analysis worksheet
- A vocabulary quiz with answer sheet
- A reading quiz with answer sheet
- An introductory PowerPoint presentation that introduces short stories in general, dystopian stories, and specifically "Harrison Bergeron"
- A fun group activity that has students brainstorm how a dystopian society would try to solve some of our society's problems
- A short story or vignette writing assignment, complete with a PREZI introduction
- A helpful teacher's guide with links to specific Common-Core Standards
The unit files come in PDF format for easy printing, but I've also included the original Word and Excel files in case you want to make minor tweaks.
My wife, Anna, who is also an English teacher, has joined me in writing curriculum. We both hope you enjoy her teaching materials for this classic short story! And don't forget to write a review!
Created by Anna and Arik Durfee