Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
3.38 MB | 30 pages
Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut Activity Bundle
This is a very comprehensive bundle of instructional resources and activities related to the short story, Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. This lesson focuses on cooperative learning and is aligned to United States Common Core Curriculum Standards. I think your students will enjoy this bundle which includes:
1) A comprehensive lesson plan aligned to the United States Common Core Curriculum
2) A scavenger hunt for information: This is an active reading scavenger hunt where students actively hunt for information in the story and analyze it in depth while they read. They must provide textual evidence to support their answers. This scavenger hunt is meant to enhance enjoyment and check for understanding. Answer sheets are included.
3) A vocabulary activity called, “Word Detective.” where students act as vocabulary detectives as they try and determine the meaning of new words. First they will use contextual clues to predict the meaning of new words from how they are used in actual passages from the story. Then they will use a thesaurus or dictionary to check comprehension and find synonyms. Answer sheet is included
4) A comprehensive crossword puzzle related to characters, events, figurative language, and vocabulary, in the story. An answer puzzle is included
5) A Text of the Story
6) An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer/story map: An active reading graphic organizer that helps your students identify and chart the literary elements in the story as they read.
7) A Figurative Language Worksheet/Quiz with 27 examples of figurative language used in this short story. Again it can be used as either a worksheet or a quiz and is very comprehensive and contains an answer sheet with thorough explanations for each example given.
8) Many supplemental Pre and post reading activities including Designing your own Utopia, Wanted Poster for an Under-Handicapped Villain, a Story Map Graphic Organizer, and a cooperative learning activity (The Good Old Days) where the students interview parents and grandparents on changes in lifestyle and how technology has taken over their lives.
I don't think you will find a more comprehensive guide for this story.
You can also access my store at