NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the book. Also, since most answers consist of one word, students benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE. Either as a homework assignment or as an opportunity for students to work in pairs with a thesaurus in class, it's a great way to prepare students for reading the book and, thus, understanding the story. Note that the parts of speech are included to aid students in finding the exact answer.
Examples of clues:
* Luminous (adj.) ANSWER: shiny
* Engulfed (v.) ANSWER: surrounded
* Chivalry: ___ behavior (n.) ANSWER: knightly
* Frayed (adj.) ANSWER: worn
* Furor (n.) ANSWER: uproar
FYI: This puzzle includes the 25 Words to Know from HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the story as well as a list of main characters, author information, and more. See list below.
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE synonym/antonym crossword over the same 25 words. A great way to test students’ understanding of synonyms and antonyms! Clues include the sentences from the book! See list below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE—view them in my store!
* Bookmarks Plus: HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE—A Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE: 17 Chapter Title Cryptograms—Fun! Students decode the chapter titles from the book! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
* HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE: 50-word Prereading Vocab Xword—Fun! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
* HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE: Synonym/Antonym Vocab Xword—Fun! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!