NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book. Also, because the answers to most of the clues consist of one word, students will benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence in which it appears in the book. Students must decide provide either a synonym or an antonym for the challenging word.
Examples of clues:
* He pushed the door AJAR and peered inside—and a horrible scene met his eye. (ant.) ANSWER: closed
* The Dursleys were COWERING against the wall. (Crouching in ___; syn.) ANSWER: fear
* ...Harry himself examined silver unicorn horns at twenty-one Galleons each and MINUSCULE, glittery-black beetle eyes... (ant.) ANSWER: huge
* He looked carefully at Harry, his eyes lingering on the scar that stood out, LIVID, on Harry’s forehead. (syn.) ANSWER: angry
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE edition of Bookmarks Plus. Please see the list of products below.
Also, the same 25 words are part of my HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE 50-word Prereading Crossword, which familiarizes students with new words before they read the book. Please see the list of products below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE—view them in my store!
* Bookmarks Plus: HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE—A Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE: 17 Chapter Title Cryptograms—Fun! Students decode the chapter titles from the book! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
* HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE: 50-word Prereading Vocab Xword—Fun! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
* HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE: Synonym/Antonym Vocab Xword—Fun! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!