Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez, by Kathleen Krull, is the inspiring biography of Cesar Chavez. Chavez was born in Arizona, where his family owned a ranch. When Chavez was ten years old his family was forced to find work in California due to a drought in their home state of Arizona. Chavez remembered the rough conditions his family faced as migrant workers, and dedicated his adult life to changing the unfair, slave-like conditions of farm workers. He led the longest protest march in U.S. history and changed the contract for many farm workers who were treated unjustly by their landowners. He will always be recognized as a great, powerful, nonviolent leader.
Included in the package:
- Prezi- A 3D Lesson plan that is similar to powerpoint, with a 3D effect.
- Lesson Plan in PDF format
A. Common Core Aligned
B. Teaches Summarizing/Sequence of Events
C. Includes background information
D. Modeling, guided practice, and independent practice.
- 3 activities to extend the lesson
- Vocabulary Practice sheet
- Graphic Organizers (Sequence of Events)
- Comprehension Quiz with ten questions. Answer key included.