I am a firm believer in the more writing students do, the better their writing will be. Like all teachers, I teach the mechanics of writing, but unless students practice what they have been taught in a meaningful way, it is pointless. So, I try to engage my students in the writing process every day. I am always looking for new and interesting ways of motivating my students to put pencil to paper. I usually find boys the most difficult to motivate, so I have developed a series of pop-out and 3-D writing projects that my boys have found particularly motivational. This project is my newest one, and I have finished it just in time for Halloween.
This Halloween writing project is a great way to get your students into the spirit of Halloween, while engaging them in the writing process. This package includes:
1. Story starters to help your students begin their writing project (Some students are really good at generating their own ideas, and do not to need story starters. I provide the story starters and invite students to use them, only if they find them helpful.)
2. A word bank of some common Halloween words your students may find useful while drafting their stories. (I like to give all of my students writing word banks when we are doing a writing project. I find it helps students with ideas, spelling, and gives students access to theme related words that they may want to use.)
3. A story planning page to help them organize their thoughts and outline their story.
4. An 11 x 17 template of the haunted house and an 11 x 17 page of features that can be added to create a pop-out effect. (I recommend photocopying the haunted house and features onto manila tag to make them stronger and easier to display.)
5. Instructions for haunted house construction
6. A front cover and good copy inside story pages ready to attach to the haunted house for easy and attractive display of the finished project.
I hope you enjoy this fun and motivational project.
Haunted House Writing Project With Haunted House Template and Pop- Outs
by Clare Haagensen
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License