Be on the lookout for some very cute creatures (and enthusiastic writers!)
2-in-1 descriptive writing activity and craft. Everything you need is included!
While it may be easy to find holiday and seasonal crafts, most of us have minimum time and maximum pressure to meet standards and help our students master important skills.
"Have You Seen My Creature?" is a kid-thrilling activity that's as much thorough writing lesson as it is easy-to-teach, clever craft project.
Here's How It Works:
1. Students choose from many accessories on printable templates to make unique creatures. (Choose from big grins, antennae, bird-like feet, furry arms, and more. Hundreds of combinations for unique creatures.)
2. You use clear and complete lesson plans to teach children to describe their creature in writing.
3. The activities conclude with a game in which students match written descriptions to one another's creatures.
This Activity Pack Makes Your Job Easy (And Their Job Fun!) By Including:
1. Three printable templates for creating friendly but kooky creatures.
2. Clear lesson plans for the writing activity, including discussion prompts.
3. Printable fill-in-the-blank prompts for very early writers.
4. Writer's guide with tips for intermediate and advanced writers.
5. "Creature Thesaurus" to help students use an abundance of adjectives when describing their creatures.
6. Labeled guide to creature "parts" for easy spelling (so you can focus on guiding content).
7. Complete writing samples for beginner, intermediate, and advanced writers (approximately 1st, 3rd, and 5th-grade levels) to use for modeling. (Be sure to download the preview to check out an excerpt of all three writing samples.)
8. Fully-illustrated instructions for creating the creatures (no more repeating yourself!)
9. Multi-use lined sheets (thin and very wide rule) for final drafts.
10. Large-scale sample of a finished creature for modeling.
11. Meets Common Core Writing standards related to writing explanatory texts, conveying ideas clearly, and using illustrations to aid in comprehension.
"Have You Seen My Creature?" is a true 2-in-1 activity, perfect for writers of all ages and abilities. Samples, modifications, and writer's guides make your job so simple--print, copy, and teach! The detailed lesson plans help you teach a meaningful lesson in descriptive writing, while the craft is an activity all kids love. The finished creatures make fun decorations and keepsakes!
Students will love reading their descriptions while their classmates try to match them to the correct creature! These are excellent pieces to show off on hallway bulletin boards, too!
Together, all activities yield a minimum of three hours instruction time, and I'm confident you'll want to use it year after year.